The flowers personified : being a translation of Grandville's "Les fleurs animées" / by N. Cleaveland. Modern botany for ladies ; and, Ladies' horticulture / by Cte. Foelix ; translated from the French by N. Cleaveland.
- Other records:
- Standardized Title:
- Fleurs animées. English
- Other Title:
- Modern botany for ladies, and ladies' horticulture
- New York : published by R. Martin, 170 Broadway, 1847-1849.
2 volumes (385, iii, 152, 8 pages, 54 unnumbered leaves of plates) : color illustrations, music ; 26 cm
- Flowers -- Pictorial works.
Smoking in art.
- Local subjects:
- Burr, Charles W. (Charles Walts), 1861-1944 (donor) (copy 2)
- Place of Publication:
- United States New York (State) New York (City).
- With half-title.
"Erratum" on page 385.
"Entered according to Act of Congress, in the year 1847, by R. Martin"--verso of title page.
No collective title page; titles transcribed from title page to The flowers personified (v. 1; v. 2, p. -385) and title page to Modern botany for ladies (iii, 152, 8 p. at end of v. 2).
Introductions by Alphonse Karr; text of The flowers personified by Taxile Delord.
Volume 2 has publisher's address as: 46 Ann-Street, New York.
"Supplement to the 'Ladies' botany,' from The history of botany, by Alph. de Candolle": 8 pages at end of volume 2.
Illustrations: 52 hand-colored and 2 uncolored steel engravings (in v. 1 by J.N. Gimbrede; some in v. 2 signed H.E. Tripler, E. Teel or H.C.S.) after Grandville; including 2 added title pages.
Originally issued in parts.
On tobacco: page -72 and plate facing page  (1st group). Plate to "Erratum" (facing page  shows tobacco personified. "Tobacco ... ladies, have nothing to do with tobacco": pages 148-149 (3rd group). Several other references to tobacco.
- Local notes:
- Kislak Center copy 1 imperfect: all after p. 16 (3rd count) wanting.
Kislak Center copy 1 bound in one volume.
Kislak Center copy 2 imperfect: nearly all plates wanting.
- Penn Provenance:
- Bartram Memorial Library Committee (bookplate) (donor) (copy 1)
- Penn Chronology:
- Cited in:
- Bennett: American nineteenth century color plate books, 25 (volume 2 only), 32 (parts 1-9, as originally issued, of volume 1).
- Karr, Alphonse, 1808-1890, author of introductions.
Delord, Taxile, 1815-1877, author.
Raban, Louis François, 1795-1870.
Cleaveland, N. (Nehemiah), 1796-1877, translator.
R. Martin, publisher.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|