The Greeks [videorecording] : crucible of civilization / produced by Atlantic Productions in association with PBS and Devillier Donegan Enterprises ; written and directed by Cassian Harrison ; produced by Patricia Wrobel.
- Other Title:
- Crucible of civilization
- [Alexandria, Va.] : PBS Home Video, 2000.
- Empires (PBS Home Video)
2 videocassettes (165 min.) : sd., col. ; 1/2 in.
- Cleisthenes, of Athens, ca. 570-ca. 508 B.C.
Themistocles, ca. 524-ca. 459 B.C.
Pericles, ca. 495-429 B.C.
Civilization, Western -- Greek influences.
Greece -- Civilization -- To 146 B.C.
Greece -- Biography.
Greece -- Antiquities.
- Video recordings for the hearing impaired.
Documentary television programs.
- Closed-captioned for the hearing impaired.
- System Details:
- VHS; letterboxed.
- The story of ancient Greece's Golden Age from the Fourth and Fifth Centuries B.C. is told through the lives of its prominent figures, including Cleisthenes, Themistocles, Pericles, Aspasia and Socrates. The Greek empire laid the foundations for modern science, politics, warfare and philosophy and produced some of the most breathtaking art and architecture the world has ever seen. This film recounts the rise, glory, demise and legacy of the empire that once stretched across the Mediterranean from Asia to Spain.
- Narrator, Liam Neeson.
- Photography, Lee Pulbrook; edited by Mel Quigley, Maggie Choyce, Scott McEwing; music composed by Simon Fisher Turner, Michael Gibbs.
- Videocassette release of several episodes of a 1999 television program.
"An Empires special" -- opening frames.
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the George Clapp Vaillant Book Fund.
- Harrison, Cassian. , Author, Director
Wrobel, Patricia. , Producer
Neeson, Liam. , Narrator
Atlantic Productions. , Producer
Public Broadcasting Service (U.S.). , Producer
Devillier-Donegan Enterprises. , Producer
PBS Home Video. , Distributor
George Clapp Vaillant Book Fund.
- Publisher Number:
B8186 PBS Home Video
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|