A new geographical, historical, and commercial grammar, and present state of the several kingdoms of the world ... : with a table of the coins of all nations, and their value in English money / by William Guthrie, Esq. ; illustrated with a new and correct set of maps, engraved by Mr. Kitchen ...
- The third edition, improved and enlarged / the astronomical part by James Ferguson ...
- London : Printed for J. Knox ..., MDCCLXXI 
viii, -728 p.,  leaf of plates : ill., maps, tables ; 21 cm. (8vo)
- Geography -- Early works to 1800.
- Place of Publication:
- England London.
- (from t.p.) I. The figures, motions, and distances of the planets, according to the Newtonian system and the latest observations
II. A general view of the earth considered as a planet, with several useful geographical definitions and problems
III. The grand divisions of the globe into land and water, continents and islands
IV. The situation and extent of empires, kingdoms, states, provinces, and colonies
V. Their climate, air, soil, vegetable productions, metals, minerals, natural curiosities, seas, rivers, bays, capes, promontories, and lakes
VI. The birds and beasts peculiar to each country
VII. Observations on the changes that have been any where observed upon the face of nature since the most early periods of history
VIII. The history and origin of nations, their forms of government, religion, laws, revenues, taxes, naval and military strength
IX. The genius, manners, customs, and habits of the people
X. Their language, learning, arts, sciences, manufactures, and commerce
XI. The chief cities, structures, ruins and artificial curiosities
XII. The longitude, latitude, bearings, and distances of principal places from London
XIII. A general index.
- "Of this popular grammar, Knox, the bookseller, is said to be the real compiler"--Watt, Bibliotheca britannica, 1965, v. 1, p. 452 .
Issued also under titles: A system of modern geography, A new system of modern geography, and, A universal geography.
- Local notes:
- Impefect: title leaf detached from gathering and pasted to a stub; margins of title leaf mutilated with some loss of text; the printing date has been incorrectly supplied and reads MDCCXCVIII  instead of MDCCLXXI .
Imperfect: p. 455-458 wanting; several leaves damaged and mended at margins.
Imperfect: Library's copy has one plate only; all others, including the table of coins, wanting; photocopies of the plates and a copy of the title page (with the unaltered date) are housed in a separate folder next to the book.
- Penn Chronology:
1798 [i.e. 1771]
- Cited in:
- ESTC N66370 ("1798" date)
ESTC T68980 ("1771" date)
- Knox, John, 1720-1790.
Kitchin, Thomas, 1718-1784.
Ferguson, James, 1710-1776.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|