First contact [videorecording] / Arundel Productions ; produced and directed by Bob Connolly and Robin Anderson.
- Watertown, MA : Documentary Educational Resources [distributor], 1982.
1 videocassette (54 min.) : sd., col. and b&w ; 1/2 in.
- Ethnology -- New Guinea.
Primitive societies -- First contact with Occidental civilization.
Papua New Guinea -- Social life and customs.
- Biographical films.
- System Details:
- Describes the discovery by Australians of a flourishing native population in the interier highlands of New Guinea in 1930 in what has been thought to be an uninhabited area. Inhabitants of the region and surviving members of the Leahy brothers' gold prospecting party recount their astonishment at this unforeseen meeting. Includes still photographs taken by a member of the expedition and contemporary footage of the island's terrain.
- Narrator, Richard Oxenburgh.
- Photography, Tony Wilson, Dennis O'Rourke ; sound, Ian Wilson ; editor, Stewart Young and Martyn Down ; music, Ron Carpenter ; associate producer, Dick Smith.
- Followed by: Joe Leahy's neighbours.
Book of the same title published in 1987.
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Anne and Joseph Trachtman Memorial Book Fund.
- Connolly, Bob. , Director, Producer
Anderson, Robin. , Director, Producer
Oxenburgh, Richard. , Narrator
Arundel Productions. , Producer
Documentary Educational Resources (Firm) , Distributor
Anne and Joseph Trachtman Memorial Book Fund.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|