Shark callers of Kontu [videorecording] / O'Rourke & Associates Filmmakers ; directed and produced by Dennis O'Rourke.
- Los Angeles, CA : Direct Cinema [distributor], 1987.
1 videocassette (54 min.) : sd., col. ; 1/2 in.
- Ethnology -- Papua New Guinea -- Kontu Island.
Sharks -- Papua New Guinea -- Kontu Island -- Religious aspects.
Kontu Island (Papua New Guinea) -- Social life and customs.
- Documentary films.
- System Details:
- Shows scenes of one of the few remaining shark callers of the Kontu island community, located north of Papua New Guinea, juxtaposed with the activities of other segments of the Kontu population. Caught up in cultural changes, the disappearance of shark callers in the ritual slaying of sharks has a deep significance for this community, since these people believe that sharks contain the spirits of their ancestors.
- Photography, Dennis O'Rourke, Chris Owen; film editor, Stewart Young; anthropologist, Elizabeth Brouwer.
- Videocassette release of a motion picture.
"Produced in association with The Institute of Papua New Guinea Studies"--Credits.
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Class of 1924 Book Fund.
- O'Rourke, Dennis. , Producer
Direct Cinema Ltd. , Distributor
Class of 1924 Book Fund.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|