Dreams and thunder : stories, poems, and the sun dance opera / Zitkala-Ša ; edited by P. Jane Hafen.
- Lincoln : University of Nebraska Press, c2001.
xxiv, 171 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Yankton Indians -- Literary collections.
Yankton Indians -- Poetry.
Yankton Indians -- Folklore.
Sun dance -- Drama.
- Place of Publication:
- United States Nebraska Lincoln.
- A collection of writings by one of the most prominent Native American activists and writers of the 20th century. Included are tales about mythic characters such as Buffalo Woman, Buzzard Skin, the Hawk Woman, the Stone Boy, and the Thunder People. In "The Sun Dance Opera," a performance of the sacred Sun Dance is inserted into the story of a love triangle involving a Sioux woman and her two suitors, one good and one evil.
- Stories. The buffalo woman
When the buffalo herd went west
Buzzard Skin and the sea monsters
The hawk woman
The boy and the rainbow
The stone boy and the grizzly
The making of Thunder People
Zicha, the squirrel, and Iktomi
The witch woman
Squirrel Man and his double
Child dancer, Pi-Yeh-Kah-Nump, transfigured
Search for Bear Claws, the lost school boy
Prayer of Pe-S̆nija, shriveled-top
Iris of life
The Indian's awakening
The red man's America
A Sioux woman's love for her grandchild
The Sun Dance opera.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 161-164) and index.
"Writings on Zitkala-Ša": P. 165-171.
- Local notes:
- Schimmel Collection copy presented to the Penn Libraries in 2014 by Caroline F. Schimmel.
Schimmel Collection copy: dust jacket retained.
- Penn Provenance:
- Schimmel, Caroline F. (donor) (Schimmel Collection copy)
- Penn Chronology:
- Hafen, P. Jane, 1955-
Caroline F. Schimmel Fiction Collection of Women in the American Wilderness (University of Pennsylvania)
- Zitkala-S̈a, 1876-1938. Sun dance opera.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|