La Promesa [videorecording] / an independent production by Julio Ramos ... [et al.].
- Milwaukee, WI : Center for Latin America, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, 1995.
1 videocassette (26 min.) : sd., col. ; 1/2 in.
- Catholic Church -- Cuba -- Rincón.
Babalu-Aye (Yoruba deity) -- Cult -- Cuba.
Shrines -- Cuba -- Rincón.
Cults -- Cuba.
Cuba -- Religion -- 20th century.
Cuba -- Social conditions -- 1959-
Cuba -- Social life and customs -- 1959-
Cuba -- Religious life and customs.
- Documentary films.
- Spanish with English subtitles.
- System Details:
- Examines devotion in Cuba to San Lázaro (Babalú-Ayé) at Rincón, where pilgrims perform acts of mortification as a "promise" to the deity for favors desired. Rincón is the site of a Roman Catholic Church dedicated to God in the name of San Lázaro (Saint Lazarus of Bethany). Local identification of the name Lazarus (Lázaro) with the beggar character from a parable in the New Testament and the similarity between that character and the image of the Yoruban deity Babalú-Ayé, have blended to create a local deity. The shrine at Rincón is considered by the followers of San Lázaro/Babalú-Ayé to be the house of their deity, a situation which causes difficulty for the Roman Catholic community present there. Film shows documentary footage of some of the practices associated with this cult and reveals some of the social problems which seem to fuel the desperation of these acts.
- Interviewers, Adriana Orejuelos, Julio Ramos.
- Cameras, Santiago Yanes, Juan Diego, Ricardo Miranda; offline editing, Ricardo Gonzalez; coordinating producer at UWM, John B. Gray.
- Videocassette release of a documentary film produced in 1993.
"Made possible in part by Center for Latin America, University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee and the Committee on Research, University of California, Berkeley." -- closing credits.
- Ramos, Julio. , Producer, Interviewer
Orejuelos, Adriana. , Interviewer
Gray, John, 1938- , Producer
University of Wisconsin--Milwaukee. Center for Latin America. , Distributor
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|