Boca Rococo : how Addison Mizner invented Florida's gold coast / Caroline Seebohm.
- 1st ed.
- New York : Clarkson Potter, c2001.
xvii, 284 p.,  p. of plates : ill. ; 25 cm.
- Mizner, Addison, 1872-1933.
Architects -- Florida -- Biography.
Architecture -- Florida -- 20th century.
Architecture -- Florida -- History -- 20th century.
Dust jackets (Binding)
- "When Addison Mizner built his opulent, glamorous mansions along the coast of southern Florida in the 1920s, he perfectly expressed America's growing power and confidence. The lyrical, Mediterranean aesthetic of Mizner's buildings that has come to define Palm Beach and Boca Raton characterizes one of the most extravagant periods in American history, when affluence and celebrity came together in a triumph of excess. Mizner perfectly embodied this flamboyant time. A beloved and colorful personality, he adored the headlines and they adored him back. His big build and wicked wit made him welcome in the social circles of San Francisco, New York, and Palm Beach.
- Preface: Addison's Napkin
Prologue: "What could possibly go wrong?"
California: Blueprint for an Optimist
"I am getting to be a perfect child about you."
"The result was neither pretty or modest."
"I won't have it off!"
"Father is fading very fast indeed."
"An architect of great taste and little money."
"The old pioneer blood of the tribe rose in my brain."
"This is a country for the young, strong and stupid."
"Why not fresco somebody's wall?"
New York: Mansions and Monkeys
"Things are very comfortable here and the service is excellent."
"All down Fifth and Madison, They love our Baby Addison."
"From time to time I had to dip into my savings."
"How rich you Americans are."
Florida: Castles in the Air
"Strange to say, we hit it off at once."
"The place took the town by storm."
"Once I have my story, then the plans take place easily."
"We're going on a buying trip to Spain."
"Each house Addison builds is more beautiful than the one before."
"The Genius of Planners, Poet of Architects, Foremost Thinker of the Future."
"We simply did not have enough money to hold out."
"Stop Dying Am Trying to Write a Comedy."
"The kindest of men, a loyal and generous friend, and a hard worker."
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -273) and index.
"Jacket design: Marysarah Quinn."
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|