The Oxford companion to United States history [electronic resource] / editor in chief, Paul S. Boyer ; editors, Melvyn Dubofsky ... [et al.].
- Other Title:
- United States history
- Oxford, Eng. ; New York : Oxford University Press, 2001.
1 online resource.
- United States -- History -- Encyclopedias.
- Electronic books.
- Features over 1,400 entries that illuminate not only America's political, diplomatic, and military history, but also social, cultural, and intellectual trends, science, technology, and medicine, the arts, and religion. Includes familiar political heroes, from George Washington and Benjamin Franklin, to Abraham Lincoln, Woodrow Wilson, and Franklin D. Roosevelt, as well as scientists, writers, radicals, sports figures, and religious leaders and such varied individuals as Thomas Edison and Eli Whitney, Babe Ruth and Muhammed Ali, Black Elk and Crazy Horse, Margaret Fuller, Emma Goldman, Marian Anderson, and even Al Capone and Jesse James. Illuminates events that have shaped the nation (the Great Awakening, Bunker Hill, Wounded Knee, the Vietnam War); major Supreme Court decisions (Marbury v. Madison, Roe v. Wade); landmark legislation (the Fugitive Slave Law, the Pure Food and Drug Act); social movements (Suffrage, Civil Rights); influential books (The Jungle, Uncle Tom's Cabin); ideologies (conservatism, liberalism, Social Darwinism); even natural disasters and iconic sites (the Chicago Fire, the Johnstown Flood, Niagara Falls, the Lincoln Memorial). Includes entries on the nation's social and cultural history, from films, football, and the 4-H Club, to immigration, courtship and dating, marriage and divorce, and death and dying. Features extensive multi-part entries on such key topics as the Civil War, Indian history and culture, slavery, and the federal government.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
Description based on contents as of Feb. 16, 2005; title from title screen.
- Boyer, Paul S.
Dubofsky, Melvyn, 1934-
Oxford University Press.
Oxford University Press Digital Library Collection (University of Pennsylvania)
- Other format:
- Print version: Oxford companion to United States history.
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|