The writer in Philadelphia, 1682-1982 / John J. Burke Department of English Saint Joseph's University ; drawings by Lawrence Burke, O.F.M..
- Philadelphia : Saint Joseph's University Press, [c1981].
x, , 84 pages : portraits ; 22 cm.
- Authors, American -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia -- Biography.
American literature -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia -- History and criticism.
Philadelphia (Pa.) -- Biography.
- Place of Publication:
- United States Pennsylvania Philadelphia.
- John Bartram
Charles Brockden Brown
Edgar Allan Poe
George Henry Boker
Charles Godfrey Leland
Henry Charles Lea
Silas Weir Mitchell
Louisa May Alcott
Francis Richard Stockton
Henry Van Dyke
James Gibbons Huneker
Richard Harding Davis
Thomas Augustine Daly
Jessie Redmon Fauset
Maxwell Struthers Burt
Christopher Darlington Morley
George Rolfe Humphries
Catherine Drinker Bowen
- "Almost every one of the writers included in the book was born in Philadelphia or its suburbs ... Of course, many of the writers - born, raised, and educated in Philadelphia - left. Many of them never (or only occasionally) came back."--Preface.
- Local notes:
- Penn Libraries Lee Collection copy has inscription: "To Charles Lee on the eve of the city's tricentennial. John Burke."
Potok Collection copy presented to the Penn Libraries by Adena Potok.
Potok Collection copy has autograph of "John Burke".
Potok Collection copy is "Second printing 1983".
Potok Collection copy has marginal marks.
- Penn Provenance:
- Lee, Ruth Sara (donor) (Lee Collection copy)
Lee, Charles, 1911- (inscription) (Lee collection copy)
Burke, John J. (John Jerome), 1924- (autograph) (Lee Collection copy)
Potok, Adena (donor) (Potok Collection copy)
Burke, John J. (John Jerome), 1924- (autograph) (Potok Collection copy)
- Penn Chronology:
- Burke, Lawrence.
Charles Lee Collection (University of Pennsylvania)
The Library of Chaim Potok (University of Pennsylvania)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|