No man can hinder me : the journey from slavery to emancipation through song / Velma Maia Thomas.
- [1st ed.]
- New York : Crown Publishers, .
39,  pages : illustrations ; 26 cm. + 1 sound disc (digital ; 4 3/4 in.)
- African Americans -- Music -- History and criticism.
Spirituals (Songs) -- History and criticism.
Slavery -- United States -- Songs and music -- History and criticism.
African Americans -- Music.
Slavery -- United States -- Songs and music.
- Local subjects:
- Ethnic music recordings, African American.
- Place of Publication:
- United States New York (State) New York (City)
- Remember Me: Songs of Africa (Drumming)
The Middle Passage: Songs that carried us over (Kum ba ya)
Lord, How Come Me Here?: Holding on to Songs of our American Past (Lord, how come me here?)
When the Hammer Rings: Songs of Work (John Henry)
There Must Be a God Somewhere: The Birth of Spirituals (Ride on King Jesus; Balm in Gilead)
Have You Got Good Religion?: Songs of Biblical Stories (Were you there?; Witness)
Love Songs: Songs that Made our Hearts Sing (Baby in a Guinea-Blue Gown)
Everybody Sing: Songs of Community (Trampin')
Little Sally Walker: Lullabies and Songs of Play (Ham bone, ham bone; Little Sally Walker; Mr. Rabbit)
And Before I'll Be a Slave: Songs of Rebellion and Freedom (Wade in the water; Swing low, sweet chariot)
John Brown's Body: Songs of Our Soldiers (John Brown's body)
The Day of Jubilee: Songs of Emancipation (Down by the riverside)
From Plantation to Palace: Preserving our Songs (Fare ye well).
- "Audio CD included with 18 spirituals exclusively recorded for this book"--Cover.
Pages have fold-out flaps.
"Edited by Marcie DiPietro."
"Designed by Amy Redmond."
"Becker & Mayer! Books"
Includes bibliographical references (page 37)
- Local notes:
- Kislak Center Banks Collection copy presented to the Penn Libraries in 2018 by Joanna Banks.
- Penn Provenance:
- Banks, Joanna (donor) (Banks Collection copy)
- Penn Chronology:
- Joanna Banks Collection of African American Books (University of Pennsylvania)
Joanna Banks Collection of African American Children's Books (University of Pennsylvania)
- 0609607197 :
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|