Teyyam [videorecording] : the annual visit of the god Vishnumurti / camera, editing, production, Erik de Maaker.
- Other records:
- Other Title:
- Annual visit of the god Vishnumurti
- Watertown, MA : Documentary Educational Resources, 1998.
1 videocassette (57 min.) : sd., col. ; 1/2 in.
- Kerala (India) -- Religious life and customs.
Teyyam -- India -- Kerala.
Rites and ceremonies -- India -- Kerala.
Performing art -- India -- Kerala.
Gods, Hindu -- India -- Kerala.
- Religious films.
- In English, some dialogue in Malayalam with English subtitles.
- System Details:
- VHS - NTSC
- "In Northern Kerala, Hindus revere numerous Gods through Teyyam rituals. Each Teyyam is dedicated to a specific God. In Teyyam worship a ritual specialist, a Teyyam performer, takes the shape of the God and becomes transformed. The rituals are performed at yearly festivals held at small temples devoted to Teyyam Gods. This program shows one Teyyam ritual for the popular God Vishnumurti, it is a visually dazzling event which is one of the few occasions that brings both the higher and lower castes of the different Hindu communities together. The performers are shown in the preparations and also after the festival."--Container.
- Narrator, Tony Wilkinson.
- Originally released in 1997.
"With the support of Institute of Cultural and Social Studies Department of Visual Ethnography Leiden University."--Container.
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Rosengarten Family Fund.
- De Maaker, Erik. , Producer, Cinematographer, Editor
Wilkinson, Tony, 1947- , Narrator
Documentary Educational Resources (Firm) , Distributor
Rijksuniversiteit te Leiden. Instituut voor Culturele Antropologie en Sociologie der Niet-Westerse Volken. , Producer
Rosengarten Family Fund.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|