- Other Title:
- Text begins: Diss Buechleyn ist zu Erst durch eynen andechtigen hohgelerten vatter Cartewser orde[n]s jn latein gemacht, Darnach durch eynen andern vertewscht ... vn[d] ist genant der Hertzmaner, von jnnprunstiger hertzlicher vermanung wegen darjnn begriffen
- [Nuremberg : Kaspar Hochfeder, ca. 1495]
, LV, LV-XCIIII, XCVI-CCXI,  leaves (leaf  blank) ; 13 cm. (16mo)
- n.r- t.n, hemb pose (3) 1495 (Q)
- Jesus Christ -- Devotional literature -- Early works to 1800.
- Incunabula -- Germany -- Nuremberg -- 1495.
Wooden boards (Binding) -- 16th century.
Clasps (Binding) -- 16th century.
- Place of Publication:
- Germany Nuremberg.
- German Christian devotional book, attributed by the text to a Carthusian writing originally in Latin, containing meditations and prayers on salvation history from the creation of humanity to the burial of Christ, followed by prayers for various needs and occasions and accompanied by a dialogue between Christ and the Virgin. Cf. V. Honemann, "Der Herzmahner," in Verfasserlexikon, 2. Aufl. (Berlin: De Gruyter, 1977), Bd. 3, col. 1167-1170. (GW identifies as a German translation of Orationes et meditationes de vita Christi by Thomas à Kempis.)
Title from Goff.
Place of printing and printer's name from colophon on leaf pi1r, which reads: Diss Buechleyn ist zu Erst durch eynen andechtigen hohgelerten vatter Cartewser orde[n]s jn latein gemacht. Darnach durch eynen andern vertewscht. Vnd durch Caspar hochfeder zu nuremberg zu drucken verfugt, vnd sagt von de[n] leyden vnnsers herren jhesu cristi, allweg bey jedem stuck, mit jnniger hertzlicher andacht, vnd danncksagung, vol verdiensts, on zweifel gotlicher gnaden. vn[d] ist genant der Hertzmaner, von jnnprunstiger hertzlicher vermanung wegen darjnn begriffen.
Imprint date from ISTC.
Median sextodecimo. Leaf a3v: 21 lines; area of text: 82 x 50 mm. Initial spaces, a few with guide letters. Printed paragraph marks. With signatures and foliation; without catchwords.
Signatures: pi⁶ a-r⁸ [s]⁸ t-z⁸ [et]⁸ [con]⁸ t⁸ [rum]⁸ w¹⁰ (a1 blank).
Leaves pi2 and pi3 signed "ij" and "iij", respectively (the rest unsigned); leaves w1 and w5 signed "w" and "w iij", respectively (the rest unsigned).
Leaves [s]1-[s]⁴ signed "r", "r ij", "r iij" and "r iiij", respectively.
BM 15th cent. records the unsigned gathering (denoted "(ij, iij)⁶") at the end of the volume, as does Hain. GW and BSB-Ink. record it at the beginning.
- Local notes:
- Leaf size: 119 x 85 mm.
Penn Libraries copy: rubrication: initials supplied in red ms. (except in gathering w, where they are supplied alternately in red and blue); underlines, capital and paragraph mark strokes, and a few paragraph marks supplied in red ms.
Penn Libraries copy has owner's name neatly inscribed in red ms. in the form "Anastasia laÿin"on leaves a2v, c5r and l5r and in the form "Anastasia löwin" on leaves [con]5r, t6r and [rum]4r (the last occurence dated "18.104.22.168. Jar") and on tail-edge.
Penn Libraries copy has a few ms. bibliographical notes in ink or pencil on pastedowns and front free endpaper.
Purchased for the Penn Libraries in 1953.
Penn Libraries copy bound in full contemporary blind-tooled leather (spine rebacked; left board partially detached) over square-edge wooden boards; remains of one leather and metal clasp on right board with metal catchplate on left board; 4 nails (2 each in head and tail cover edges) inserted as shoes; 3 raised bands on spine; ms. spine label in red and black; largely illegible ms. inscriptions in red ink on head-, fore- and tail-edges (tail-edge inscription appears to begin "Anastasia löwin").
Penn Libraries copy has bookseller's typescript description of this copy affixed to front pastedown.
Penn Libraries copy has small wormhole in fore-edge margin of leaves b8-c7; two small ink blots on leaf t8r.
- Penn Provenance:
- Löwin, Anastasia (former owner) (inscription)
Laÿin, Anastasia (former owner) (inscription)
- Penn Chronology:
- 1495 (ca.)
- Cited in:
- Goff H-135
BM 15th cent. II, p. 477 (IA.8219)
- Hochfeder, Kaspar, fl. 1490-1517, printer.
Incunable Collection (University of Pennsylvania)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|