Reading to learn : lessons from exemplary fourth-grade classrooms / Richard L. Allington, Peter H. Johnston ; foreword by Michael Pressley ; afterword by Gerald G. Duffy.
- New York : Guilford Press, c2002.
- Solving problems in the teaching of literacy
xviii, 254 p. ; 24 cm.
- Reading (Elementary) -- United States -- Case studies.
Fourth grade (Education) -- United States -- Case studies.
- PART I: WHAT WE KNOW AND NEED TO KNOW ABOUT GOOD FOURTH-GRADE TEACHING? : Teaching fourth grade in the 21st Century
What do we know about effective fourth-grade teachers?
PART II: WHAT DO GOOD CLASSROOMS LOOK AND FEEL LIKE? : Inquiry and a good conversation: "I learn a lot from them" / Peter H. Johnston and Joan Backer
"Responsibility and respect for themselves and for whatever it is they're doing": learning to be literate in an inclusive classroom / Gay Ivey
"Focus on the real and make sure it connects to kids' lives" / Ruth Wharton-McDonald and June Williamson
"We learn from each other": collaboration and community in a bilingual classroom / Jeni Pollack Day
A caring, responsible learning community / Peter H. Johnston, Tracey Bennett, and John Cronin
PART III: WHAT WE LEARNED ABOUT GOOD FOURTH-GRADE TEACHING? : Integrated instruction in exemplary fourth-grade classrooms
Literate achievements in fourth grade
The nature of good fourth-grade teaching
Shifting the focus of the reading debate: a cautionary afterword / Gerald G. Duffy
Appendix: Achievement growth on standardized reading tests.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 235-248) and index.
- Johnston, Peter H.
- 1572307633 (cloth : alk. paper)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|