Silicon Valley [videorecording] : center of a modern renaissance, 1970s-1990s / produced and directed by John R. McLaughlin.
- Other Title:
- Title in narration: Silicon Valley, a 100-year renaissance.
Title on container: Silicon Valley: 1970s-1990s
- Princeton, NJ : Films for the Humanities and Sciences, c1999.
1 videocassette (46 min.) : sd., col with b&w sequences ; 1/2 in.
- High technology industries -- California -- Santa Clara Valley (Santa Clara County) -- History.
Computer industry -- California -- Santa Clara Valley (Santa Clara County) -- History.
Semiconductor industry -- California -- Santa Clara Valley (Santa Clara County) -- History.
Computer engineering -- California -- Santa Clara Valley (Santa Clara County) -- History.
Microelectronics industry -- California -- Santa Clara Valley (Santa Clara County) -- History
Santa Clara Valley (Santa Clara County, Calif.) -- History.
Apple Computer, Inc. -- History.
Sun Microsystems -- History.
Intel Corporation -- History.
Octel Communications Corporation -- History.
ALZA Corporation -- History.
- Documentary films.
- System Details:
- Looks back at the history of the Silicon Valley region of California from the 1970s through the 1990s. The creative counterculture and absence of restrictive business traditions allowed visionaries and inventors to take big risks that have made Silicon Valley synonymous with high-tech. In this program, the founders of Apple, Sun, Intel, Octel, ALZA and other corporations along with Nobel Laureates Paul Berg and Linus Pauling, and the inventor of the computer mouse discuss the entrepreneurial spirit, the challenges of high-tech start-ups, and the explosive growth of the Internet.
- Commentary: Steve Jobs, Steve Wozniak, Mike Markkula, Ted Hoff, Regis McKenna, Fred Hoar, T. J. Rodgers, Jim Morgan, Bob Cohn, Alejandro Zaffaroni, Jerry Sanders, Scott McNealy, Charles Geschke, Scott Cook, Robert H. Swanson, Bob Graham, Gordon Moore, Finis Conner, Larry Ellison, Nolan Bushnell, Jim Hobart, Charles Trimble, Kurt Petersen, Paul Berg, William Shockley, Annalee Saxenian, Douglas Englebart, Jim Clark, Michael S. Malone, Linus Pauling.
Narrator: Walter Cronkite.
- Historian, Ward Winslow; photo editor, Clarissa Turner; art director, Keith Costas; contributing writers, John Waters, John McLaughlin, Ward Winslow.
- Originally broadcast in 1998 by Santa Clara Valley Historical Association.
Part of a two-cassette set, the first of which discusses Silicon Valley from the 1890s to 1970s. Title in narration: Silicon Valley, a 100-year renaissance.
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Alumni and Friends Memorial Book Fund.
- McLaughlin, John R. (John Robert) 1949- , Director, Producer, Screenwriter
Winslow, Ward. , Screenwriter
Cronkite, Walter. , Narrator
Winslow, Ward, 1927- , Commentator, Screenwriter
Jobs, Steven, 1955- , Commentator
Wozniak, Steve, 1950- , Commentator
Clark, Jim, 1944- mm
Malone, Michael S. (Michael Shawn), 1954- , Commentator
Berg, Paul. , Commentator
Pauling, Linus, 1901-1994. ,
Hobart, Jim. , Commentator
Trimble, Charles. , Commentator
Petersen, Kurt. , Commentator
Shockley, William, 1910- , Commentator
Saxenian, AnnaLee. , Commentator
Santa Clara Valley Historical Association. , Producer
Films for the Humanities (Firm) , Distributor
Alumni and Friends Memorial Book Fund.
- Publisher Number:
- FFH 9083 Films for the Humanities & Sciences
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|