Title from Goff. Imprint from ISTC. Royal folio, printed in double columns (text surrounded by commentary in each column). Leaf [a]2r: 60 lines to a full column; area of text: 288 x 188 mm.; col. width: 86 mm. Printed initials and paragraph marks. Printed headlines on many leaves. Without signatures, foliation or catchwords. Signatures: [a]-[o]¹⁰ [p]⁸ [q]⁶ [r]-[v]¹⁰ [x]⁸(x8+chi1) [y]-[z]¹⁰ [A]-[H]¹⁰ [I]-[K]⁸ [L]-[T]¹⁰ [V]⁸.
Leaf size: 401 x 274 mm. Penn Libraries copy: rubrication: underlines, capital strokes, paragraph mark strokes and a few rubrics and paragraph marks supplied in red ink; marginal citations of parallel verses in red and brown ink; several large initials hand-colored in red, yellow, green, orange and black ink; other initials hand-colored in red, blue or red and blue ink. Penn Libraries copy has three large inhabited floriate designs sketched in brown ink on front pastedown; 2 small sketches of animals (a deer and a dog?) in brown ink on front pastedown; headlines on some leaves supplied in ms. in brown ink; each gathering numbered in tail margin in ms. in brown ink on recto of first leaf and verso of last leaf; some early ms. marginal notes and underlines in brown ink. Penn Libraries copy has 2 early ms. leaves ( p.) of canon tables written in brown ink in a cursive script with rubrication (text begins: Incipit tabulua canonum su[per] [con]co[r]da[n]cia[m] q[ua]t[tu]or eu[a]n[gelis]ta[rum]) bound in at end of volume. Penn Libraries copy has a few modern ms. bibliographical notes on front pastedown. Penn Libraries copy has dated 18th-century bookplate ("Ex Bibliotheca Canoniae ad B.V. MARIAM Sanctamque Felicitatem, cum VII. Filiis MM. in AU Ord. Canon. Reg. Lateran. S.P. Augustini Anno 1778. in alium ordinem redacta.") with ms. shelf-mark on front pastedown and dated 17th-century ms. ownership inscription ("Monasterij B.M.V. et S. Felicitatis in AV 1637") in brown ink at head of leaf [a]1r, both of the Augustinian community of Au am Inn, Bavaria, Germany (founded 1122 and secularized 1803). Penn Libraries copy has armorial bookplate of Boies Penrose II affixed to front pastedown; bookplate ("FROM THE LIBRARY OF LAURENCE W. HODSON, COMPTON HALL, NEAR WOLVERHAMPTON.") of Laurence W. Hodson affixed to front pastedown. Penn Libraries copy has dated 20th-century ms. bookseller's note ("Perfect pp. Bernard Quaritch, Ltd. F.W., 17.2.28") in pencil on back pastedown. Penn Libraries copy bound in full early blind-tooled leather over indented square-edge wooden boards; 4 raised bands on spine; remains of ms. paper spine label ("[...] THOMAE [...] GLOSSA CONTINUA IN IV. EVANGELIA"); evidence of two fore-edge clasps and catchplates; early ms. parchment strips used as binder's waste (reinforcement at center of each gathering); red parchment finding tab affixed to fore-edge of leaves [r]1, chi1 and [K]8. Penn Libraries copy: binding worn, especially at edges of boards; a few leaves at end of volume partially detached from textblock; some leaves stained at head-edge and/or tail outer corner.