Laboratory papers [manuscript].
- Other Title:
- Artillery laboratory works
- [England], 1800.
108 leaves : paper, col. ill. ; 183 x 115 (150 x 92) mm. bound to 189 x 125 mm.
- Great Britain. Royal Navy -- Weapons systems -- Early works to 1800.
Great Britain. Army. Royal Artillery Institution -- Handbooks, manuals, etc. -- Early works to 1800.
Artillery -- England -- Early works to 1800.
Military art and science -- England -- Early works to 1800.
Tools -- England -- Early works to 1800.
Manuscripts, English -- 18th century.
- Handbook with detailed instructions for making balls, grape shot, rockets, mortars, bursting shells, Bengal lights, fuses, fire lances, fire arrows, fire ships, etc. Includes numerous illustrations of tools and methods for producing ammunition. Several innovations are attributed to Col. William Congreve: "To fix powder bags in the safest manner according to Col. Congreve's instructions."
- Ms. codex.
Title and date from title page (p. i).
Pagination: Paper, 108; [x], 1-189, [xxiii]; contemporary pagination in ink, upper center.
Script: Written in a cursive script by a single hand.
Binding: Contemporary calf, rebacked.
Watermark: Includes the date 1798.
Decoration: 32 plates in pen-and-ink and colored ink wash; numerous tables.
Origin: Written in England in 1800 ( p. i)
- Penn Provenance:
- Former owners include: H. More Captain R.A. (crossed out signature, p. i); John Sandy, 1881 (signature, inside upper cover).
Sold by Jarndyce Antiquarian Booksellers (London), August 2002.
- Cited as:
- UPenn Ms. Codex 899
- Congreve, William, Sir, 1772-1828.
Sandy, John, former owner.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|