The memoirs of an English officer : who serv'd in the Dutch war in 1672 to the peace of Utrecht, in 1713 : containing several remarkable transactions both by sea and land, and in divers countries, but chiefly those wherein the author was personally concern'd : together with a description of many cities, towns, and countries, in which he resided / by Capt. George Carleton.
- London : Printed for E. Symon ..., 1728.
, 352 p. ; 21 cm. (8vo)
- st'd onis d.s, whEn (3) 1728 (R)
- Great Britain -- History, Military -- Sources.
Spain -- Social life and customs.
- Place of Publication:
- England London.
- Written in the first person, but not in fact by Carleton. Sometimes attributed to Daniel Defoe (Wilson (tentative), Lee, Trent, Hutchins, Moore, Novak ("possibly in part by a real G. Carleton"). Attribution disputed by Furbank and Owens.
The dedication is "To the right honourable Spencer Lord Compton, Baron of Wilmington, .." - "To the reader" has a postscript.
Signatures: A⁴ B-Z⁸.
Leaf H4 signed G4.
Woodcut head- and tail-pieces; initials.
Title page in double ruled border.
- Local notes:
- Culture Class Collection copy has bookplate of William Monson on front pastedown.
Culture Class Collection copy left and right boards detached.
- Penn Provenance:
- Monson, William (bookplate)
- Penn Chronology:
- Cited in:
- ESTC T70327
Furbank and Owens. Defoe deattributions, 500
McBurney, W.H. Engl. prose fiction, 230
Moore, J.R. Checklist of the writings of Daniel Defoe, 500
- Defoe, Daniel, 1661?-1731.
Carleton, George, fl. 1728.
Collection of British and American Fiction, 1660-1830 (University of Pennsylvania)
Culture Class Collection (University of Pennsylvania)
English Culture Class Collection (University of Pennsylvania)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|