Joining the club : a history of Jews and Yale / Dan A. Oren.
- New Haven : Yale University Press, ©1985.
- Yale scene. University series 4.
The Yale scene. University series ; 4
xiv, 440 pages ; 25 cm
- Yale University -- Students -- History.
Jewish college students -- Connecticut -- New Haven -- History.
Jewish college teachers -- Connecticut -- New Haven -- History.
Discrimination in education -- Connecticut -- New Haven.
Jews -- Education -- Connecticut -- New Haven -- History.
Jews -- United States -- Intellectual life.
Discrimination in education.
Jewish college students.
Jewish college teachers.
Jews -- Education.
Jews -- Intellectual life.
Connecticut -- New Haven.
- Traces the history of Jews at Yale University from the 18th century to 1977, on the basis of archival records and interviews. The increase in social prejudice against Jews in the 1870s was also felt at Yale, especially as the Jews' intellectual achievements and academic preoccupations clashed with the Yale emphasis on social life and sports. Admissions procedures were liberalized during 1910-20, but in 1923 an unofficial quota was imposed which lasted until the 1940s. Includes statistical tables on enrollment of Jews. (From the Bibliography of the Vidal Sassoon International Center for the Study of Antisemitism).
- Published in cooperation with the American Jewish Archives.
Includes bibliographical references (pages 397-423) and index.
- Local notes:
- CJS copy acc.# 201333
- American Jewish Archives.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|