The life and death of Colonel Blimp [videorecording] / Janus Films ; J. Arthur Rank presents ; a production of the Archers ; Independent Producers ; written, produced and directed by Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger.
- Other Title:
- Title on container: Powell and Pressburger's the life and death of Colonel Blimp
Colonel Blimp [videorecording]
Life & death of Colonel Blimp [videorecording]
- Special ed.
- [Irvington, NY] : Criterion Collection , c2002.
- Criterion collection; 173.
Criterion collection ; 173
1 videodisc (ca. 163 min.) : sd., col. ; 4 3/4 in. + 1 booklet ( p. : col. ill. ; folded to 19 cm.)
- Low, David, 1891-1963 -- Film adaptations.
Great Britain. Army -- Officers -- Attitudes -- Drama.
World War, 1939-1945 -- Great Britain -- Drama.
World War, 1914-1918 -- Great Britain -- Drama.
South African War, 1899-1902 -- Drama.
Friendship -- Drama.
Motion pictures, British.
- Video recordings for the hearing impaired.
Motion pictures, British.
- Closed-captioned for the hearing impaired.
- System Details:
- DVD; Dolby digital mono.
- Based on cartoonist David Low's parody of the old-fashioned British professional soldier, set in his ways and unable to adapt to the brutality of modern war. This story follows the career of Clive Candy, at first an idealistic, young Boer War hero, then a brigadier general, serving honorably in World War I. Finally, by World War II, he has become a bald, overweight, querulous old man, angry that his age and military experience are held in contempt, and bewildered that his lifelong code of gentlemanly conduct has become an anachronism in a world threatened by a monster like Hitler.
- Anton Walbrook, Deborah Kerr, Roger Livesey, Roland Culver, Harry Welchman, Arthur Wontner.
- Photographed by Georges Perinal; edited by John Seabourne ; music composed and arranged by Allan Gray.
- DVD release of the 1943 motion picture.
Edition statement from label on shrinkwrap.
Special features: audio commentary featuring director Michael Powell with Martin Scorsese; the 24-minute video documentary, A profile of the Life and Death of Colonel Blimp; selection of Sir David Low's Colonel Blimp cartoons; and rare behind-the-scenes and production stills from the collection of Michael Powell.
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Class of 1953 Fund.
- Powell, Michael, 1905-1990. , Director, Producer, Screenwriter
Pressburger, Emeric, 1902-1988, , Director, Producer, Screenwriter
Livesey, Roger, 1906-1976. , Actor
Kerr, Deborah, 1921-2007 , Actor
Walbrook, Anton, 1900-1967. , Actor
Low, David, 1891-1963. , Author
Gray, Allan, 1902-1973 , Composer
Archers (Firm). , Producer
Independent Producers, Ltd. , Producer
Rank Organisation. , Producer
Janus Films. , Producer
Criterion Collection (Firm) , Distributor
Class of 1953 Fund.
- Publisher Number:
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|