The 39 steps [videorecording] / Janus Films ; Gaumont British Picture Corporation, Ltd. ; directed by Alfred Hitchcock ; adaptation, Charles Bennett ; dialogue, Ian Hay, Alma Reville ; producers, Michael Balcon, Ivor Montagu.
- Other Title:
- Thirty-nine steps [videorecording]
Title on container: Alfred Hitchcock's The 39 steps
- [Irvington, NY] : The Criterion Collection, c1999.
- Criterion collection; 56.
Criterion collection ; 56
1 videodisc (86 min.) : sd., b&w ; 4 3/4 in.
- Buchan, John, 1875-1940 -- Film adaptations.
Great Britain. Metropolitan Police Office. Criminal Investigation Dept.
Murder -- Drama.
Military secrets -- Drama.
- Feature films.
Motion pictures, British.
Video recordings for the hearing impaired.
- Closed-captioned for the hearing impaired.
- System Details:
- DVD; Dolby digital mono.
- A young Canadian in England inadvertantly becomes involved in a pre-World War II spy ring when a female agent is murdered in his room. The rest of the film is devoted to his attempts to clear his name and catch the foreign spies before they take a valuable military secret out of the country. He is pursued across England and Scotland by Scotland Yard, which believe him to be the murderer, and the spies, who believe he knows their secret.
- Robert Donat, Madeleine Carroll, Wylie Watson, Godfrey Tearle, Peggy Ashcroft.
- Photography, Bernard Knowles; editor, D.N. Twist; musical director, Louis Levy.
- Based on the novel by John Buchan.
Videodisc release of the motion picture produced in 1935.
Special features: audio essay by Hitchcock scholar Marian Keane; complete 1937 broadcast of the Lux Radio Theatre adaptation, performed by Robert Montgomery and Ida Lupino; "The art of film : vintage Hitchcock," a Janus Films documentary; excerpts from the 1935 press book; original production design drawings.
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Class of 1953 Fund.
- Hitchcock, Alfred, 1899-1980 ,
Montagu, Ivor Goldsmid Samuel, 1904-1984 , Producer
Balcon, Michael, 1896-1977. , Producer
Reville, Alma. , Screenwriter
Hay, Ian. , Screenwriter
Bennett, Charles, 1899-1995 , Screenwriter
Ashcroft, Peggy, Dame. , Actor
Tearle, Godfrey, 1884-1953. , Actor
Watson, Wylie. , Actor
Carroll, Madeleine, 1906-1987 , Actor
Donat, Robert, 1905-1958. , Actor
Levy, Louis, 1893-1957. , Composer
Buchan, John, 1875-1940. , Author
Gaumont British Picture Corp. , Producer
Janus Films. , Producer
Criterion Collection (Firm) , Distributor
Class of 1953 Fund.
- Publisher Number:
THI120 The Criterion Collection
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|