Brown gold : milestones of African-American children's picture books, 1845-2002 / by Michelle H. Martin.
- New York : Routledge, 2004. , ©2004
- Children's literature and culture; 30.
Children's literature and culture ; 30
xxi, 229 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm.
- American literature -- African American authors -- History and criticism.
American literature -- African American authors -- Bibliography.
Children's literature, American -- History and criticism.
Children's literature, American -- Bibliography.
Picture books for children -- United States -- Bibliography.
African Americans -- Intellectual life -- Bibliography.
African Americans in literature.
African Americans in art.
- Place of Publication:
- United States New York (State) New York (City)
- "Brown Gold is a history and analysis of African-American children's picture books from the mid-nineteenth century to the present. At the turn of the nineteenth century, good children's books about black life were hard to find - if, indeed, young black readers and their parents could even gain entry into the bookstores and libraries at the time. But today, in the "Golden Age" of Africa-American children's picture books, one can find a wealth of titles ranging from Happy to be Nappy to Black is Brown is Tan."--Jacket.
- "Hey, Who's the Kid with the Green Umbrella?": a Re-evaluation of Little Black Sambo and the Black-a-moor
From Ten Little Niggers to Afro-Bets: Images of Blackness in Picture Books for Young Readers, 1870s to 2000s
The Influence of the Black Arts Movement on African American Children's Picture Books
Pushing the Boundaries: The Coretta Scott King Award Picture Books
From Margin to Center: African American Artistic Legacies Shaping the Genre
Historical America through the Eyes of the Black Child
"Just Build Me a Cabin the Corner of Glory Land": Depictions of Heaven in African American Children's Picture Books
"Ain't I Fine?": Black Modes of Discourse in Contemporary African American Children's Picture Books
"Why Are We Reading This Stuff?": A Pedagogy of Teaching African American Children's Picture Books.
- "Copyright ©2004 by Routledge"--verso of title page
Includes bibliographical references (p. 211-221) and index.
- Local notes:
- Kislak Center Banks Collection copy presented to the Penn Libraries in 2018 by Joanna Banks.
- Penn Provenance:
- Banks, Joanna (donor) (Banks Collection copy)
- Penn Chronology:
- Routledge (Firm), publisher.
Joanna Banks Collection of African American Books (University of Pennsylvania)
Joanna Banks Collection of African American Children's Books (University of Pennsylvania)
- 0415938570 (hardback : alk. paper)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|