Italian villas and their gardens / by Edith Wharton ; illustrated with pictures by Maxfield Parrish and by photographs.
- Other records:
- New York : The Century Co., 1904. ([New York] : The De Vinne Press)
, xii, 270 p.,  leaves of plates : ill. (part. col.) ; 28 cm.
- Architecture -- Italy.
Architecture, Domestic -- Italy.
Italy -- Description and travel.
- Pictorial cloth bindings (Binding) -- 1907.
- Place of Publication:
- United States New York (State) New York.
Villas near Rome
Villas of venetia.
- Considered the author's first published travel book.
Title printed within double-ruled border with outer green floral border.
"Published November, 1904."
Running title, page numbers and chapter initials printed in umber.
Plates includes in page count.
Binding by Decorative Designers with cover design inspired by illustration "Villa Pia" by Maxfield Parrish.
Green cloth binding with front cover stamped in gold, green, back, white, umber and blue and signed at the lower right D. [inverted] D. Gold-stamped lettering and shield on spine. Top edge trimmed and gilt stained; other edges untrimmed.
Cover design by Decorative Designers.
- Local notes:
- Athenaeum copy: "Gold, green, white, brown and blue stamping on dark green cloth" -- Minsky.
Athenaeum copy: Exhibited: "Art Bound: Book Design Past & Present," at the Athenaeum of Philadelphia, 2008.
Athenaeum copy: Meigs gift.
- Penn Chronology:
- Cited in:
- Minsky, Richard. American decorated publishers' bindings, 1872-1929 (electronic resource), v. 1, pg. 101
- Parrish, Maxfield, 1870-1966.
Decorative Designers (Firm)
Culture Class Collection (University of Pennsylvania)
American Culture Class Collection (University of Pennsylvania)
Parrish, Maxfield, 1870-1966. , Illustrator
Decorative Designers (Firm). , Binding designer
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|