The battle for the black ballot : Smith v. Allwright and the defeat of the Texas all-white primary / Charles L. Zelden.
- Lawrence : University Press of Kansas, c2004.
- Landmark law cases & American society
x, 156 p. ; 22 cm.
- Smith, Lonnie -- Trials, litigation, etc.
Trials -- Texas.
African Americans -- Suffrage -- Texas -- History.
African Americans -- Suffrage -- United States -- History.
- Democracy on trial : the persistence of race-based vote denial in American history
To exclude and oppress : the evolution of the Texas all-white primary
A rising tide of protest : early efforts to combat the Texas all-white primary
Last chance for victory: Smith v. Allwright in the lower federal courts
May it please the court : Smith v. Allwright in the Supreme Court
Death knell : the all-white primary after Smith.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 141-146) and index.
- 0700613390 (cloth : alk. paper)
0700613404 (pbk. : alk. paper)