The theater of nature, or, Curiosity filled the cabinet / [written and illustrated by Angela Lorenz].
- Other Title:
- Curiosity filled the cabinet
Theater of nature
- Trade ed.
- [Bologna] : Novelties of Purpose, 2002.
1 v. (unpaged) : col. ill. ; 18 cm.
- Artists' books -- Italy.
Cabinets of curiosities -- History.
Museums in art.
Museums -- History.
- "The artist's hand drawn copperplate etchings, based on old engravings depicting the earliest museums in Europe, are reproduced here in a facsimile version of the original limited-edition artist's book. Inside, a rhyming poem recounts the rise and fall of cabinets of curiosities, illustrated with nine watercolors based on 16th and 17th century manuscripts commissioned by Ulisses Aldrovandi (1522-1605), housed in the University of Bologna Library, and by Manfredo Settala (1600-1680), now housed in the Biblioteca Estense of Modena, Italy."--Colophon.
Two mounted accordion fold illustrated texts, printed on both sides.
Issued in folding paper case, which when mounted, represents a magic lantern.
"Both the trade edition and the original were printed in the typeface Centaur, a mythical beast, at the Stamperia Valdonega of Verona, on acid-free paper produced by Cartiere Fedrigoni."--leaf .
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Ruth and Marvin Sackner Fund for the Arts of the Contemporary Book Collections.
Promotional postcard laid in.
- Penn Chronology:
- Stamperia Valdonega, printer.
Ruth and Marvin Sackner Fund for the Arts of the Contemporary Book Collections.
- 8885033431 :
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|