The first book of the American chronicles of the times. Chap. II [electronic resource].
- Other Title:
- American chronicles of the times.
- Providence: : Printed and sold by John Carter., 
- Early American imprints. First series ; no. 42602.
1 online resource (pages -15, )
- Bible. Old Testament -- Parodies, imitations, etc.
United States -- History -- Revolution, 1775-1783 -- Anecdotes.
- Place of Publication:
- United States Rhode Island Providence.
- The events preceding the American Revolution, related in mock-Biblical style.
By John Leacock. Leacock's play, "The fall of British tyranny," was advertised in the Constitutional gazette, July 3, 1776, as "by the author of the American chronicles of the times." Cf. Carla Mulford's Introduction to "John Leacock's The first book of the American chronicles of the times, 1774-1775" (Newark : University of Delaware Press, 1987).
"... said to be wrote by that great patriot ... S----l A---s [i.e., Samuel Adams], Esquire, a member for this province in the Grand American Continental Congress."--from an advertisement for the work in: The Wonder of wonders ... 2nd edition, Salem, Mass. : E. Russell, 1775. A portrait of Adams appears on the title page of Russell's edition of the work (Salem, 1774).
Imprint from colophon. Date of publication supplied by Alden.
Electronic text and image data. [Chester, Vt. : Readex, a division of Newsbank, Incorporated, 2002-2004. Includes files in TIFF, GIF and PDF formats with inclusion of keyword searchable text. (Early American imprints. First series ; numbers 42602).
- Cited in:
- Bristol B3741
Shipton and Mooney 42602
Alden, J.E. Rhode Island, 537
- Adams, Samuel, 1722-1803.
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|