Surviving, and other essays / Bruno Bettelheim.
- Other records:
- [1st ed.]
- New York : Alfred A. Knopf : [distributed by Random House, Inc.], 1979. Saddle Brook, New Jersey : Printed & bound by American Book-Stratford Press)
, xi, , 432,  pages ; 25 cm.
- Personality change -- Addresses, essays, lectures.
Psychic trauma -- Addresses, essays, lectures.
Concentration camps -- Germany -- Psychological aspects -- Addresses, essays, lectures.
Holocaust, Jewish (1939-1945) -- Psychological aspects -- Addresses, essays, lectures.
Oppression (Psychology) -- Addresses, essays, lectures.
Social psychology -- Addresses, essays, lectures.
- Medical subjects:
- Adaptation, Psychological -- essays.
Personality Development -- essays.
Social Adjustment -- essays.
- Place of Publication:
- United States New York (State) New York.
United States New Jersey Saddle Brook.
- Part One. The ultimate limit; Trauma and reintegration; German concentration camps; Individual and mass behavior in extreme situations; The Holocaust-one generation later; "Owners of their faces"; Schizophrenia as a reaction to extreme situations
Part Two. Education and the reality principle; The decision to fail; About Summerhill; Violence: a neglected mode of behavior; Mental health and urban design; Growing up female
Part Three. Unconscious contributions to one's undoing; The ignored lesson of Anne Frank; Eichmann: the system, the victims; Surviving
Part Four. Remarks on the psychological appeal of totalitarianism; Alienation and autonomy; Obsolete youth; About the sexual revolution; Portnoy psychoanalyzed; Some comments on privacy; Art and education: a personal view.
- "This is a Borzoi Book published by Alfred A. Knopf."
"This book is set in Electra, a Linotype face designed by W. A. Dwiggins (1880-1956), who was responsible for so much that is good in contemporary book design."--A Note on the Type.
"Design by Gwen Townsend."
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Local notes:
- Potok Collection copy presented to the Penn Libraries by Adena Potok.
Potok Collection copy: dust jacket retained.
Potok Collection copy has autograph of "Chaim Potok 1979".
- Penn Provenance:
- Potok, Adena (donor) (Potok Collection copy)
Potok, Chaim (autograph) (Potok Collection copy)
- Penn Chronology:
- The Library of Chaim Potok (University of Pennsylvania)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|