[Lexicological notes] [manuscript].
- Other Title:
- Notes et remarques lexicologiques.
- [France, after 1678]
274 leaves : paper ; 214 x 158 mm. bound to 227 x 170 mm.
- French language -- Lexicology, Historical -- Early works to 1800.
Language and languages -- Etymology -- Early works to 1800.
Manuscripts, French -- 18th century.
- French, with Latin and Greek quotations.
- One section of a larger collection of notes on word meanings and origins, especially in the areas of natural history and geography, with references to classical authors such as Pliny, Galen, Virgil, and Suetonius, often in Latin or Greek, and a smaller number of biblical references. The words are not in alphabetical order, but sometimes are grouped according to source.
- Ms. codex.
Title supplied by cataloger; Rudolf Hirsch used the title Notes et remarques lexicographiques based on the pencil notes inside the upper cover. The same notes report an attribution to Gilles Ménage. The date 1678 appears on page 2179.
Pagination: Paper, 296 leaves; 1891-2439; contemporary pagination in ink, upper center, suggests this is a section of a larger work; [1-596]; modern pagination in pencil, upper outer corners.
Script: Written in a cursive script.
Binding: Contemporary parchment (Hirsch).
Origin: Written in France, after 1678.
- Penn Provenance:
- Purchased, 1964.
- Cited in:
- Described in Hirsch, Rudolf. Catalogue of Manuscripts in the Libraries of the University of Pennsylvania to 1800: Supplement A(1). The Library Chronicle, 1969, p. 22 (Ms. French 110).
- Cited as:
- UPenn Ms. Codex 994
- Ménage, Gilles, 1613-1692, dubious author.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|