The sounds of slavery : discovering African American history through songs, sermons, and speech / Shane White and Graham White.
- Other Title:
- Added title on disc: Historic African American recordings
- Boston : Beacon Press, 2005.
xxii, 241,  pages ; 24 cm + 1 sound disc (digital ; 4 3/4 in.)
- Slaves -- Southern States -- Social life and customs.
Slaves -- Southern States -- Songs and music.
Slaves -- Southern States -- Language.
Songs -- Southern States -- History.
Oral communication -- Southern States -- History.
Plantation life -- Southern States.
Slavery -- Social aspects -- Southern States -- History.
African Americans -- Southern States -- History.
Aural history -- Southern States.
Southern States -- Social life and customs.
African Americans -- Southern States -- Music.
- Local subjects:
- Ethnic music recordings -- Southern States.
Ethnic music recordings, African American -- Southern States.
- Place of Publication:
- United States Massachusetts Boston.
- Introduction. The Lords of Sounds
"All we knowed was go and come by de bells and horns"
"To translate everyday experiences into living sound"
"De music [of the slaves] make dese Cab Calloways of today git to de woods an' hide"
"Sing no hymns of your own composing"
"He can invent a plausible Tale at a Moment's Warning"
"Boots or no boots, I gwine shout today!"
"When we had a black preacher that was heaven"
Soundtracks of the City: Charleston, New York, and New Orleans
Soundtracks of the City: Richmond in the 1850s
Epilogue. The Sounds of Freedom.
Contents of compact disc (full details on p. 229-230):
Arhoolie : confield holler
Oh if your house catches fire : levee camp holler
Roxie : work song
New buryin' ground
Long hot summer day
Go preach my gospel
Jesus, my God, I know His name
Go to sleep
The buzzard and the cooter
Prayer : (spoken)
Run, old Jeremiah
Sometimes I feel like a motherless child
Have mercy, Lord
The unusual task of the gospel preacher : extracts from a sermon
The Man of Calvary : Easter sermon.
- "Jacket design: Bob Kosturko. Jacket art: Singing Their Songs by Elizabeth Catlett ..."
Includes bibliographical references (pages 191-228), discography (pages 229-230) and index.
- Local notes:
- Kislak Center Banks Collection copy presented to the Penn Libraries in 2018 by Joanna Banks.
Banks Collection copy: dustjacket retained.
- Penn Provenance:
- Banks, Joanna (donor) (Banks Collection copy)
- Penn Chronology:
- White, Graham J., author.
Joanna Banks Collection of African American Books (University of Pennsylvania)
- 0807050261 (cloth : alk. paper) :
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|