A new general English dictionary [electronic resource] : peculiarly calculated for the use and improvement of such as are unacquainted with the learned languages. Wherein the difficult Words, and Technical Terms made use of in Anatomy, Architecture, Arithmetick, Algebra, Astronomy, Botany, Chymistry, Divinity, Gardening, Grammar, Hawking, Heraldry, History, Horsemanship, Hunting, Husbandry, Law, Logick, Mathematicks, Mechanicks, Milit. Affairs, Musick, Navigation, Painting, Poetry, Rhetorick, Sculpture, Surgery, &c. Are not only fully explain'd, but accented on their proper Syllables, to prevent a vicious Pronunciation; and mark'd with Initial Letters, to denote the Part of Speech to which each Word peculiarly belongs. To which is prefixed, A Compendious English Grammar, with general Rules for the ready Formation of one Part of Speech from another; by the due Application whereof, such as understand English only, may be able to write as correctly and elegantly, as those who have been some Years conversant in the Latin, Greek, &c. Languages. Together with A Supplement, Of the proper Names of the most noted Kingdoms, Provinces, Cities, Towns, Rivers, &c. throughout the known World. As also Of the most celebrated Emperors, Kings, Queens, Priests, Poets, Philosophers, Generals, &c. whether Jewish, Pagan, Mahometan, or Christian; but more especially such as are mentioned either in the Old or New Testament. The Whole Alphabetically digested, and accented in the same Manner, and for the same Purpose, as the preceding Part; being collected for the use of such as have but an imperfect Idea of the English Orthography. Originally begun by the late Reverend Mr. Thomas Dyche, School-Master at Stratford-le-Bow. Author of the Guide to the English Tongue, the Spelling-Dictionary, &c. and now finished by William Pardon, gent.
- The eleventh edition, with the addition of the several market towns..
- London : printed for Catherine and Richard Ware, at the Bible and Sun on Ludgate-Hill. MDCCLX. Six Shillings.), 
- Eighteenth century collections online. Part 1.
p. ; 8⁰.
- English language -- Dictionaries.
English language -- Grammar -- 1500-1800.
- Place of Publication:
- England London.
- System Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Electronic reproduction. Farmington Hills, Mich. : Cengage Gale, 2009. Available via the World Wide Web. Access limited by licensing agreements. s2009 miunns
Reproduction of original from British Library.
- Cited in:
- English Short Title Catalog, T113318.
- Pardon, William.
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|