Henry Adams and the making of America / Garry Wills.
- Boston : Houghton Mifflin, 2005.
viii, 467 pages ; 24 cm
- Adams, Henry, 1838-1918. History of the United States of America.
United States -- Historiography.
United States -- History -- 1801-1809.
United States -- History -- 1809-1817.
Adams, Henry, 1838-1918.
Historians -- United States -- Biography.
Adams, Henry, 1838-1918
History of the United States of America (Adams, Henry)
Adams, Henry Historiker.
Adams, Henry 1838-1918.
- In this new view of the greatest historian of the nineteenth century, historian Wills showcases Henry Adams's little-known but seminal study of the early United States and elicits from it fresh insights on the paradoxes that roil America to this day. Adams drew on his own southern fixation, extensive foreign travel, political service in Lincoln's White House, and much more to invent the study of history as we know it. His chronicle established new standards for employing archival sources, firsthand reportage, eyewitness accounts, and other techniques that have become the essence of modern history. Adams's innovations went beyond the technical; he posited an ironic view of the legacy of Jefferson and Madison: they strove to shield the young country from "foreign entanglements," a standing army, a central bank, and a federal bureaucracy, among other hallmarks of "big government"--Yet by the end of their tenures they had permanently entrenched all of these things in American society. This is the "American paradox" that defines us today.--From publisher description.
- 1: The making of an historian
Grandmother Louisa and the south
Civil war politics
2: The making of a nation
I: Jefferson's two terms
A people's history: the history, volume one
Jefferson's success: the history, volume one
Reaching out: the history, volume two
Three foes: the history, volume three
Anything but war: the history, volume four
II: Madison's two terms
False dawn: the history, volume five
War: the history, volume six
Naval history: the history, volume six
The war's second year: the history, volume seven
The war's third year: the history, volume eight
Shame and glory: the history, volume eight
Peace and nationalism: the history, volume nine
Nation-making: the history, volume nine.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Local notes:
- Gotham Book Mart Collection copy has dustjacket retained.
- Penn Provenance:
- Gotham Book Mart (former owner) (Gotham Book Mart Collection copy)
- Penn Chronology:
- Gotham Book Mart Collection (University of Pennsylvania)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|