The ambassador, the sultan, and the artist : an audience in Istanbul / [Eveline Sint Nicolas, Duncan Bull, and Günsel Renda].
- Other Title:
- Audience in Istanbul
- Amsterdam : Rijksmuseum, c2003.
- Rijksmuseum dossiers
48 p. : col. ill., col. ports. ; 28 cm.
- Vanmour, Jean-Baptiste, 1671-1737 -- Exhibitions.
Calkoen, Cornelis, 1696-1764 -- Travels -- Exhibitions.
Ahmed III, Sultan of the Turks, 1673-1736 -- Portraits -- Exhibitions.
Courts and courtiers in art -- Exhibitions.
Sultans in art -- Exhibitions.
Ambassadors in art -- Exhibitions.
Turkey -- Court and courtiers -- Social life and customs -- Exhibitions.
Istanbul (Turkey) -- History -- 18th century -- Exhibitions.
Turkey -- History -- Ahmed III, 1703-1730 -- Exhibitions.
Painting, Dutch -- 18th century -- Exhibitions.
- When the Dutch ambassador Cornelis Calkoen came to the Topkapi Palace in Istanbul to present his credentials to Sultan Ahmed III, he had this important event recorded by the painter Jean Baptiste Vanmour. Together with the many depictions of court dignitaries and genre pieces by Vanmour, these paintings provide a remarkable picture of life at the Ottoman court in the first half of the eighteenth century.
- The ambassador and the sultan / Eveline Sint Nicolas
The artist / Duncan Bull
The court and empire observed / Günsel Renda.
- Catalog of an exhibition held at the Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam, Netherlands from July 4-Oct. 26, 2003 and at the Topkapi Sarayi Museum at the end of 2003.
Includes bibliographical references (p. 48).
- Sint Nicolaas, E.
Topkapı Sarayı Müzesi.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|