Slave religion : the "invisible institution" in the Antebellum South / Albert J. Raboteau.
- New York : Oxford University Press, 1978.
xi, , 382,  pages ; 21 cm
- African Americans -- Southern States -- Religion.
Slaves -- Southern States -- Religion.
Southern States -- Church history.
- Place of Publication:
- United States New York (State) New York (City)
- I. The African Heritage. The African Diaspora. Death of the Gods
II. "The Invisible Institution" Catechesis and Conversion. The Rule of Gospel Order. Religious Life in the Slave Community. Religion, Rebellion, and Docility. Conclusion: Canaan Land.
- "Jacket design by Ronald Clyne. Cover photograph: Zion Baptist Church, North Garden, Virginia ..."
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Local notes:
- Kislak Center Banks Collection copy presented to the Penn Libraries in 2018 by Joanna Banks.
Banks Collection copy: dustjacket retained.
Banks Collection copy has embossed stamp "JB Library of Joanna Banks".
- Penn Provenance:
- Banks, Joanna (donor) (stamp) (Banks Collection copy)
- Penn Chronology:
- Joanna Banks Collection of African American Books (University of Pennsylvania)
- 0195024389 :
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|