Amusemens / de François de la Fosse.
- [France, after 1702]
299 leaves : paper, maps ; 371 x 238 (306 x 147) mm. bound to 380 x 245 mm.
- Berry, Charles, duc de, 1686-1714.
Louis, Duke of Burgundy, Dauphin of France, 1682-1712.
Philip V, King of Spain, 1683-1746.
Spanish Succession, War of, 1701-1714.
France -- Court and courtiers -- 18th century.
France -- History -- Louis XIV, 1643-1715.
Manuscripts, French -- 18th century.
- French, with a little Latin.
- Minor French courtier of the early 18th century; "ecuyer, sieur de Valpendant, valet de garderobe du Roy, ordinaire de Monsigneur le Duc de Bourgogne" (title page).
- Fourth volume of an unpublished autobiographical work, with correspondence as a major source, describing events of 1700-1702, including accounts of the death of Charles II of Spain; the journey of Philip, duc d'Anjou, with his brothers, the duc de Berry and duc de Bourgogne, to take the throne; and a journey with the duc de Bourgogne to the early battlegrounds of the War of Spanish Succession in Belgium, Holland, and Germany. Also includes a number of poems, descriptions of cities (Poitiers, Orléans, Lyon) and works of art seen in the travels, five hand-drawn maps of the Dutch-German border, and an index.
- Ms. codex.
Title and attribution from title page (p. [iii]).
Collation: Paper, 299; 1¹⁸( -1), 2-3¹⁶, 4¹⁶( -1), 5¹⁶, 6¹⁶( -1), 7²⁰, 8-9¹⁶, 10²⁰( -3), 11-14¹⁶, 15¹⁸, 16¹⁸(+ 5 fold-out maps), 17¹⁶, 18¹⁶( -1); [viii], 1-105 (p. 97-98 cut out and 103-104 mostly cut out), 104-179 (p. 137-138 mostly cut out and 161-162 cut out), 170-558 (unpaginated maps following p. 502, 506, and 516), [xxii]; contemporary pagination in ink in La Fosse's hand, upper outer corner, modern foliation in pencil, lower right recto.
Layout: Written in 44-46 long lines; full length vertical bounding lines in faint ink, with two additional vertical lines dividing the right margin into three unequal columns.
Script: Written in the cursive hand of François de La Fosse.
Decoration: Elaborate monogram or flourishes, with wreath above and crossed quill pens below, in ink (p. [i]); coat of arms with two crescents above a chevron and a wolf below, in ink (p. 1); fold-out maps of the Dutch-German border, in ink (following p. 502, 506, and 516).
Binding: 18th-century vellum; covers warped, text partially detached from spine.
Origin: Written in France, ca. 1702.
- Penn Provenance:
- Bookplate on verso of second flyleaf: Ex Libris Henri Grosseuvre (bookplate design dated 1925; Grosseuvre's library sold at auction at Hôtel Drouot, Paris, 16-18 April 1934).
Sold by F. A. Bernett Inc. (Boston), 2005.
- Cited as:
- UPenn Ms. Codex 1040.
- Access Restriction:
- Access to this item is subject to staff review.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|