From Philadelphia to the front [videorecording] / produced and directed by Judy Gelles and Marianne Bernstein.
- Waltham MA : National Center for Jewish Film, Brandeis University, c2006.
1 videodisc (37 min.) : sd., b&w. ; 4 3/4 in.
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Participation, Jewish.
- War films.
- System Details:
- DVD - NTSC.
- One of the few documentaries to explore the stories of Jewish-American World War II veterans, this film focuses on six Philadelphia men in their 80℗s, and their individual experiences during the war and a bittersweet reunion they share in their old age. For Jews, the war to defeat Hitler had deeply personal significance.
Combined with photographs from the men℗s personal collections, the film includes rare archival footage, stills, and newsreels including Jewish soldiers celebrating Shabbat and Passover during wartime and the first Jewish service at Dachau after it was liberated. Milton Dank, a noted physicist and historian who flew glider planes in WWII, contributed hundreds of photographs he took on the front lines.
- Photographer Judy Gelles.
- Originally released in 2001-2002.
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Classes of 1883 and 1884 Fund.
Freedman Archive Collection. Disc V0026.
- Gelles, Judy, 1944- , Director, Producer
Bernstein, Marianne. , Director, Producer
National Center for Jewish Film. , Producer, Distributor
Robert and Molly Freedman Jewish Music Archive.
Classes of 1883 and 1884 Fund.
- Publisher Number:
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|