Richard III [videorecording] / London Film Productions ; Janus Films ; producer, Laurence Olivier ; [textual alterations], Colley Cibber, David Garrick ; director, Laurence Olivier.
- Other Title:
- Title on container: William Shakespeare's Richard III [videorecording]
- Special ed., widescreen presentation.
- [Irvington, N.Y.] : Criterion Collection, 2004.
- Criterion collection; 213.
Criterion collection ; 213
2 videodiscs (ca. 158 min.) : sd., col. ; 4 3/4 in. + 1 folded sheet.
- Richard III, King of England, 1452-1485 -- Drama.
Edward IV, King of England, 1442-1483 -- Drama.
Shakespeare, William, 1564-1616 -- Film adaptations.
English drama -- Early modern and Elizabethan, 1500-1600 -- Film adaptations.
Murder -- England -- Drama.
Motion pictures, British.
- Biographical films.
Video recordings for the hearing impaired.
Motion pictures, British.
- System Details:
- DVD; Dolby Digital mono.
- Begins by recapitulating the final scene of Henry VI, Part III with Edward IV being crowned king. In the background of the celebration, Richard jealously views the proceedings. Soon afterwards, Edward IV is murdered, drowned in a vat of wine. Richard becomes king and, after proceeding with a succession of intrigues and duplicities, he finds his kingdom in dire peril, set upon by Henry Tudor and mustering a final defense for his realm at the Battle of Bosworth. An immortal tale of lust, murder, treachery and the ruthless pursuit of power.
- Cedric Hardwicke, Nicholas Hannen, Laurence Olivier, Ralph Richardson, John Gielgud, Mary Kerridge, Paul Huson, Claire Bloom.
- Director of photography, Otto Heller ; art director, Carmen Dillon ; editor, Helga Cranston ; original music, William Walton ; production designer, Roger Furse ; special effects, Wally Veevers.
- Originally released as a motion picture in 1955.
Based on the play by William Shakespeare.
Special features: new high-definition digital transfer, including newly discovered footage from the original theatrical release, with restored image and sound; audio commentary by playwright and stage director Russel Lees, joined by John Wilders, former governor of the Royal Shakespeare Company; "Great acting: Laurence Olivier", a 1966 BBC interview with Olivier hosted by renowned theater critic Kenneth Tynan; gallery of on-set and production stills and posters, featuring excerpts from Olivier's autobiography "On acting"; 12-minute television trailer, including footage of Olivier, producer Alexander Korda, production designer Roger Furse, and other crew members at work in Shepperton Studios; original theatrical trailer; essay by film historian Bruce Eder.
- Olivier, Laurence, 1907-1989. , Producer, Director,
Cibber, Colley, 1671-1757 , Screenwriter
Garrick, David, 1717-1779 , Screenwriter
Hardwicke, Cedric, 1893-1964 , Actor
Hannen, Nicholas, 1881-1972. , Actor
Richardson, Ralph, Sir, 1902-1983 ,
Gielgud, John, 1904-2000.
Walton, William, 1902-1983. ,
Shakespeare, William, 1564-1616. , Author
London Film Productions. , Producer
Janus Films. , Distributor
Criterion Collection (Firm) , Distributor
- Publisher Number:
RIC020 Criterion Collection
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|