After Elizabeth : the rise of James of Scotland and the struggle for the throne of England / Leanda de Lisle.
- 1st U.S. ed.
- New York : Ballantine Books, c2005.
xxv, 334 p.,  p. of plates : ill. (some col.), maps (some col.), geneal. tables ; 25 cm.
- James I, King of England, 1566-1625.
Great Britain -- History -- James I, 1603-1625.
Great Britain -- Kings and rulers -- Biography.
Great Britain -- Kings and rulers -- Succession -- History -- 17th century.
- Many volumes have been written about the reign of Elizabeth I; this book focuses on the critical year her reign ended, when England lost its childless queen and a Machiavellian struggle ensued to find her successor. December 1602: The formidable ruler has become a dithering old woman. The kingdom has been weakened by the cost of war with Spain and the simmering discontent of both the rich and the poor. Elizabeth's senior relative, James VI of Scotland, is a foreigner and a Stuart, excluded from the throne under English law. Around the old queen and the new king swirl a cast of unforgettable characters. We witness the scheming of courtiers for the candidates of their choice, and the widespread fear that civil war, invasion, or revolution will follow the monarch's death; and we are given intimate insights into political power plays and psychological portraits relevant to our own era.--From publisher description.
- "The world waxed old"
"A babe crowned in his cradle"
"Westward...descended a hideous tempest"
"Lots were cast upon our land"
"Hope and fear"
"The beggars have come to town"
"An anointed king"
"The God of truth and time."
- "Originally published in hardcover in the United Kingdom by HarperCollinsPublishers, London, in 2005"--T.p. verso.
Includes bibliographical references (p. -321) and index.
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Horace Howard Furness Memorial Fund.
- Horace Howard Furness Memorial Fund.
- 0345450450 (acid-free paper)
- Publisher Number:
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|