Cabala, sive, Scrinia sacra : mysteries of state & government in letters of illustrious persons, and great agents in the reigns of Henry the Eighth, Queen Elizabeth, K. James, and the late King Charls : in two parts, in which the secrets of Empire and publique manage of affairs are contained : with many remarkable passages no where else published.
- Standardized Title:
- Cabala, sive, Scrinia sacra.
- Other Title:
- London : Printed for G. Bedel and T. Collins ..., 1654.
, 347, ; , 355 [i.e. 255],  p. ; 21 cm. (4to)
- Great Britain -- History -- Tudors, 1485-1603 -- Sources.
Great Britain -- Politics and government -- 1485-1603.
Great Britain -- Politics and government -- 1603-1649.
Europe -- History -- 1517-1648 -- Sources.
Statesmen -- Great Britain -- Correspondence.
- Advertisements -- England -- London -- 17th century.
- Place of Publication:
- England London.
- Each part has special t.p., separate pagination and signatures. Part 1.: Cabala, mysteries of state, in letters of the great ministers of K. James and K. Charles. Wherein much of the publique manage of affaires is related. Faithfully collected by a Noble Hand; pt. 2: Scrinia Sacra; secrets of empire, in letters of illustrious persons. A supplement of the Cabala. In which business of the same quality and grandeur is contained, with many famous passages of the late reigns of K. Henry & Q. Elizabeth, K. James and K. Charls.
General title page and t.p. for part 2 are printed in red and black.
Part 2 "The stationers to the reader" signed: G.B. and T.C., i.e. Gabriel Bedell and Thomas Collins.
Part 1 was originally issued separately in 1653 (Wing C183).
Signatures: part 1: A⁸ B-2X⁴ 2Y⁶ 2Z², ²2A⁴; part 2: A⁴ a² B-X⁴ 2A⁴ 2B² 2C-2L⁴.
Page number 255 on 5th count, misnumbered 355.
Page numbers 161 to 180 on 5th count, omitted in sequence.
Title pages within woodcut borders; woodcut device, initials, head-pieces.
Errata on part 2: p. , 4th count.
Includes indexes at end of each part.
Advertisements at end of part 1.
- Local notes:
- This title is part of The Library and Reading of Jonathan Swift: a Partial Replication, a collection given to the University of Pennsylvania Rare Book & Manuscript Library in 2005 in memory of Susan Homans Elias and in honor of the late Heinz J. Vienken.
- Penn Provenance:
- Vienken, Heinz J. (honoree)
Elias, Susan Homans (honoree)
- Penn Chronology:
- Cited in:
- Wing (2nd ed., 1994), C184
Gibson, R.W. Francis Bacon, 322
- Bedell, Gabriel, d. 1668, bookseller.
Collins, Thomas, fl. 1650-1682, bookseller.
Swift's Library and Reading Collection (University of Pennsylvania)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|