The history of the rebellion and civil wars in England, begun in the year 1641 : with the precedent passages, and actions, that contributed thereunto, and the happy end, and conclusion thereof by the King's blessed restoration, and return, upon the 29th of May, in the year 1660 / written by the Right Honourable Edward Earl of Clarendon ...
- Oxford : Printed at the Theater, an. Dom. MDCCVII 
3 v. : ill., port. ; 46 cm. (fol.)
- Great Britain -- History -- Puritan Revolution, 1642-1660.
Great Britain -- History -- Stuarts,1603-1714.
- Place of Publication:
- England Oxford.
- Vol.1. Books 1-5
Vol.2. Books 6-9
Vol.3. Books 10-16, Index.
- Large paper issue.
Engraved port. of the author on frontispiece; engr. ill., initials, head- and tail-pieces.
Each book with special half-title.
Each vol. has frontispiece, t.p., p. i, and half-titles tooled in red.
Pagination: vol. 1: , xxiii, , 557,  p.,  leaf of plates; v. 2: , 581,  p.,  leaf of plates; v. 3: , 603,  p.,  leaf of plates.
In v. 1 pages 492, 493, 516 and 552 misnumbered 494, 491, 416 and 452 respectively; in v. 2 page 525 is misnumbered 425; in v. 3 pages 538 and 576 are misnumbered 548 and 578 respectively.
With side- and shoulder-notes.
Includes index at end of vol. 3.
- Local notes:
- This title is part of The Library and Reading of Jonathan Swift: a Partial Replication, a collection given to the University of Pennsylvania Rare Book & Manuscript Library in 2005 in memory of Susan Homans Elias and in honor of the late Heinz J. Vienken.
Leaf size: 448 x 285 mm.
Binding: full contemporary black morocco, elaborately panelled in gilt; seven raised bands on spine with designs in seven panels and title stamped in gold; floral gilted turn-ins; marbled endpapers; gilt edges.
Each vol. has the armorial bookplate of John Holles, Duke of Newcastle on the verso of its t.p.
- Penn Provenance:
- Vienken, Heinz J. (honoree)
Elias, Susan Homans (honoree)
Newcastle, John Holles, Duke of, 1662-1711 (bookplate)
Court, Norman (label)
- Penn Chronology:
- Cited in:
- ESTC T53942
Passmann-Vienken. Swift's Library, 940
- Swift's Library and Reading Collection (University of Pennsylvania)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|