A view of the English constitution : with respect to the sovereign authority of the Prince, and the allegiance of the subject, etc. : the third edition with a defence of the view by way of reply to the several answers that have been made to it / by William Higden, D.D.
- London : Printed for S. Keble ..., and R. Gosling ..., 1710.
, 112, , 192,  p. ; 20 cm. (8vo)
- Loyalty oaths -- Great Britain.
Constitutional history -- Great Britain.
Great Britain -- History -- Anne, 1702-1714.
Great Britain -- Kings and rulers -- Succession.
- Place of Publication:
- England London.
- A reissue of the third edition of the same year, with a cancel title page.
A variant has the original third edition, 1710, title page uncancelled.
Title page within woodcut borders.
The title of the original third edition reads: A view of the English constitution, with respect to the Sovereign Authority of the Prince, and the allegiance of the subject. In vindication of the lawfulness of taking the oaths, to Her MaJesty, by law required.
"A defence of the view of the English constitution", also issued separately, has a special t.p. and separate pagination and signatures.
Signatures: A⁴ B-H⁸, ²A-N⁸.
With a final errata leaf.
Includes bibliographical references.
- Local notes:
- This title is part of The Library and Reading of Jonathan Swift: a Partial Replication, a collection given to the University of Pennsylvania Rare Book & Manuscript Library in 2005 in memory of Susan Homans Elias and in honor of the late Heinz J. Vienken.
Library's copy is a variant with the original third edition, 1710, title page uncancelled.
Errata leaf wanting.
With bookseller's description laid in.
- Penn Provenance:
- Vienken, Heinz J. (honoree)
Elias, Susan Homans (honoree)
Simpson, Edward (bookplate)
Kenyon(?), L. (autograph, January 1765(?))
- Penn Chronology:
- Cited in:
- ESTC T50775
Passmann-Vienken. Swift's Library, 859
- Keble, Samuel, bookseller.
Gosling, Robert, d. 1741, bookseller.
Swift's Library and Reading Collection (University of Pennsylvania)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|