The opera of the twentieth century : a passionate art in transition / William Schoell.
- Other Title:
- Opera of the 20th century
- Jefferson, N.C. : McFarland, c2006.
vii, 300 p. ; 23 cm.
- Opera -- 20th century.
- "Beginning with a thorough introduction to the history of operatic forms and transformation, this book presents a comprehensive discussion of 20th century opera, giving ear to many composers and many styles. The discussion is structured chronologically and directed at exploring this complex diversity and ingenuity of 20th century styles"--Provided by publisher.
- Giacomo Puccini, genius of melody
Pietro Mascagni, prince of passion
Sex and violence : Italy, 1900-1950
The passion of zarzuela : Spain, South American, Cuba, 1900-1950
Elegance and romance : France, 1900-1950
Wagner's heir : Richard Strauss
The final chords of romanticism : Germany, Austria, 1900-1950
Sound, fury, significance : Russia, 1900-1950
Jan[a]cek and other Europeans, 1900-1950
(Mostly) gentlemen at work : United Kingdom, 1900-1950
The musical theater of opera : United States, 1900-1950
The bright lights of opera : United States, 1950-1959
A mixed bag : United States, 1960-1990
Kitchen sink international : Europe, 1951-1990
Old music, new bottles : United Kingdom, 1951-1990
The final decade, and the future : United States and the world, 1990-21st century.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 291-293), discography (p. 275-289), and index.
- 0786424656 (softcover : alk. paper)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|