[Court document] : manuscript.
- Other records:
- Other Title:
- Record of a deposition and its validation.
- [Fustat, May 2, 1047]
1 fol. : Damaged, losses in left edge and lower left corner, faded; verso is blank.
Paper 23 X 22 cm material applied: black ink ruling method: columns: lines: 18 (recto).
- Court records.
Civil procedure (Jewish law)
Charitable uses, trusts, and foundations (Jewish law)
- Judeo-Arabic and Aramaic. Hebrew Oriental semi-cursive.
- A record in Judeo-Arabic regarding a compound in the Qatsr al-Sham quarter of Fustat, one sixth of which has been dedicated (waqf) to the two Rabbanite Synagogues of Fustat, the Babylonian and the Erets Israeli. Issued by Saʻadia ben R. Ephraim he-ḥaver.
The lower half of the document is the court validation of the above, in legal Aramaic, written by a different hand. Here, in addition to Saʻadia, more witnesses are listed, Joseph ben Jacob (ʻAwkal?); Baqaʻ ha-kohen ben Mukhtar; Yeshuah ha-Levi ben Solomon.
The validation is signed with the autographs of representatives of both synagogues, Sahlan ben Abraham (Babylonian, see the list of judges, Goitein: A Mediterranean Society / S.D Goitein. Berkeley : Univ Calif Press, 1967-1993, vol. 2 Appendix D, no. 6; E. Bareket: Shafrir Mitsraim / Elinoar Bareḳet. Tel Aviv : University of Tel Aviv, 1995, p. 172-188 = Fustat on the Nile, Leiden, 1999, pp. 233-255) and Ephraim (Zeʻiara) ben Shemarya (Erets Israeli, Goitein, ibid., no. 4; Bareket, ibid. pp. 100-121, idem. pp. 129-160).
Forms part of: Cairo Genizah Collection.
- Cairo Genizah Collection (University of Pennsylvania. Center for Advanced Judaic Studies. Library).
Cairo Genizah Collection (Dropsie College. Library).
- Cited in:
- Halper, no. 336
IMHM, no. F38400
- Publications about:
- Published, with introduction, notes and translation, by M. Gil, Documents of the Jewish pious foundations from the Cairo Geniza / Moshe Gil [ed.]. Leiden : Brill, 1976, p. 151-154.
- Seʹadyah ben Efrayim, he-Ḥaver, 11th cent.. , Witness
Yosef ben Yaʻaḳov, active 11th century , Witness
Baḳa ben Mukhṭar, ha-Kohen. , Witness
Sahlan ben Abraham, 11th cent. , Witness
Efraim ben Shemarya, ca. 980-ca. 1060. , Witness
Yeshuʻah ben Shelomoh, ha-Leṿi. , Witness
Cairo Genizah Collection (University of Pennsylvania. Center for Advanced Judaic Studies. Library).
- Contained In:
- Cairo Genizah Collection