[Court document] : manuscript.
- Other Title:
- Official record of testimony
The dowry of Sitt al-Ruat.
- [Fustat, Feb. 1150]
1 fol. : nearly complete; damaged, faded, losses.
Paper 15.3 X 13 cm material applied: black ink ruling method: columns: 1 lines: 18 (recto), 16 (verso).
- Mevorakh ben Abu ʻAli -- Marriage.
Partnership (Jewish law)
Evidence (Jewish law)
- Judeo-Arabic. Hebrew Oriental semi-cursive.
- A court document in Judeo-Arabic. The witnesses, Abu'l Munajja ha-kohen ben Abu'l Wafa and Abu'l Hassan ben Abu' Wahash testify that Abu Sahl ha-Levi ben Joseph has paid the sum that was to be added for the partnership between Abu'l Hassan and Abu Natsr ben Khalf.
The first autograph signature is that of Hillel ben Tsadok the Av Bet Din, the second is torn and illegible, only the title הח]בר] is extant. In Oxford Bodleian Heb. d. 66 (Cowely 2878) fol. 76, the same R. Hillel co-signs with Mevorakh ben Nathan ha-haver, the clerk and scribe in the court of Fustat between 1150-1181 (below 346, see also Mann, The Jews of Egypt vol. II p. 293; Goitein, A Mediterranean Society, vol. V p. 358).
In a letter dated 1153, Samuel ha-nagid refers to our Hillel (or his father) as the Av Bet Din "of all of Israel" in Cambridge TS 13J 18 fol. 25 (Mann, ibid. p. 287), yet in terms of documentation, he is relatively obscure.
On the verso, in a different, more cursive hand, is a list in Judeo-Arabic of items in the dowry of Sitt al-Ruat towards her marriage to Mevorakh ben Abu ʹAli.
Forms part of: Cairo Genizah Collection.
- Penn Provenance:
- Cairo Genizah Collection (University of Pennsylvania. Center for Advanced Judaic Studies. Library).
Cairo Genizah Collection (Dropsie College. Library).
- Cited in:
- Halper, no. 345
IMHM, no. F38400
- Hilel ben Tsadoḳ, Av ben din.
Cairo Genizah Collection (University of Pennsylvania. Center for Advanced Judaic Studies. Library).
- Contained In:
- Cairo Genizah Collection
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|