[Court document] : manuscript.
- Other Title:
- Official record of legal declaration
- [Fustat, 1098-1114?].
1 fol. : damaged, losses along all edges, folded widthwise into at least five equal parts; verso is blank.
Paper 28 X 26 cm material applied: black ink ruling method: left rule justified by stretching last character columns: lines: 16 extant (13 text, 2 signature, 1 postscript[?]) (recto).
- Court records.
Taxes, Farming of.
- Judeo-Arabic. Hebrew Oriental semi-square.
- A legal declaration in Judeo-Arabic. Signed in autograph by the court of Mevasser ha-kohen ben Abraham, Abraham ben Moses, who appears to be the scribe of this document, Abraham ben Nathan ("Av ha-Yeshiva", see the list of judges assembled by S. D. Goitein, A Mediterranean Society vol. II Appendix D, no. 14) whose signature appears on documents dated 1098-1114.
A young man, Khatsab ben Abu Natsr, claims goods that he gave as a pledge on a loan from Moses Sharaji, who had died. The tax farmers of the market protested, as Khatsab owed them taxes. In this declaration, Khatsab agrees to pay them 2 dinar in cash and 5 and five sixth dinar in installments.
These payment orders were transferred to al-Ḥakīm (אלחכים), the representative of the merchants, who would pay the taxes when he payed the orphans of Moses, enabling the delivery of the goods to Khatsab.
Forms part of: Cairo Genizah Collection.
- Penn Provenance:
- Cairo Genizah Collection (University of Pennsylvania. Center for Advanced Judaic Studies. Library).
Cairo Genizah Collection (Dropsie College. Library).
- Cited in:
- Halper, no. 351
IMHM, no. F38400
- Mevaśer ben Avraham, ha-Kohen. , Witness
Avraham ben Mosheh, Melamed. , Witness, Scribe
Abraham ben Nathan, 11th/12th cent. , Witness
Cairo Genizah Collection (University of Pennsylvania. Center for Advanced Judaic Studies. Library).
- Contained In:
- Cairo Genizah Collection
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|