African-American holidays, festivals,and celebrations : the history, customs, and symbols associated with both traditional and contemporary religious and secular events observed by Americans of African descent / by Kathlyn Gay ; foreword by Jean Currie Church ; introduction by Jessie Carney Smith.
- Detroit, MI : Omnigraphics, 2007.
xx, , 569,  pages : illustrations ; 25 cm
- Holidays -- United States.
Festivals -- United States.
African Americans -- Social life and customs.
United States -- Social life and customs.
- Place of Publication:
- United States Michigan Detroit.
- "Provides information about the history and celebration of more than 100 holidays, festivals, and other events observed by Americans of African descent. Features include narrative overviews, chronology of historical events related to holidays and festivals, calendar and geographical listings of observances, bibliography, and contact information and web sites"--Provided by publisher.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 481-505) and index.
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Class of 1924 Book Fund.
Kislak Center Banks Collection copy presented to the Penn Libraries in 2018 by Joanna Banks.
- Penn Provenance:
- Banks, Joanna (donor) (Banks Collection copy)
- Penn Chronology:
- Church, Jean Currie, writer of foreword.
Smith, Jessie Carney, 1930- writer of introduction.
Class of 1924 Book Fund.
Joanna Banks Collection of African American Books (University of Pennsylvania)
- 9780780807792 (hardcover : alk. paper)
0780807790 (hardcover : alk. paper)
- Publisher Number:
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|