Whose children are these? [videorecording] / Maharani Productions ; director, Theresa Thanjan.
- San Francisco, CA : Distributed by Center for Asian American Media, c2004.
1 videodisc (27 min.) : sd., col. ; 4 3/4 in.
- Muslims -- Civil rights -- United States.
Immigrants -- Civil rights -- United States.
Immigrants -- Government policy -- United States.
Children of immigrants -- United States.
Arabs -- Civil rights -- United States.
September 11 Terrorist Attacks, 2001.
Terrorism -- United States -- Prevention.
- Documentary films.
- System Details:
- Special Registration, a Department of Justice program, required men from 25 predominately Muslim countries to register with the U.S. government with the intention of monitoring and capturing suspected terrorists. The hardship imposed by this ruling, can be seen on the lives of the three teenagers profiled. Mohammad, 18, was born in Pakistan, but has lived in the U.S. since the age of seven. A typical American teenager, he faced the possibility of being sent back to a country he scarcely knew. Fortunately, his congressman intervened at the last minute and he was granted permision to stay. Navila, 19, from Bangladesh, carries on a futile struggle to save her father who was deported back to the very country from which he had fled. Sixteen-year old Hagar Youssef who has dealt with slurs and prejudice because she wears a headscarf, has mobilized groups to combat bias crimes in New York City.
- Commentators: Mohammed "Sarfaraz" Hussain, Navila Ali, Hager Youssef.
- Photographer, Brett Walters ; editor, Shashwati Talikdar ; music, Kamran Rastegar.
- DVD release of the original 2004.
Best documentary, 4th Annual Indian Diaspora Film Festival, N.Y., 2004
Best documentary, Indian Film Festival of L.A., 2005.
Best director for a short documentary, Brooklyn Arts Council Int'l Film Festival, 2005.
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Rosengarten Family Fund.
- Thanjan, Theresa. , Director
Hussain, Mohammed. , Commentator
Ali, Navila. , Commentator
Youssef, Hager. , Commentator
Rastegar, Kamran. , Composer
Maharani Productions. , Producer
Center for Asian American Media. , Distributor
Rosengarten Family Fund.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|