Preparing America's teachers : a history / James W. Fraser.
- New York : Teachers College Press, c2007.
- Reflective history series
xii, 290 p. ; 24 cm.
- Teachers -- Training of -- United States -- History.
- Schooling teachers for a new nation, 1750-1830
Educating women, women as educators, 1800-1860
The birth of the normal school, 1830-1870
Teachers' institutes, 1830-1920
High schools and city normal schools, 1830-1920
Normal institutes, missionary colleges, and county training schools: preparing African American teachers in the segregated South, 1860-1940
The heyday of the normal school, 1870-1920
Universities create departments and schools of education, 1870-1930
Teachers for cities, teachers for immigrants, 1870-1940
Every teacher a college graduate, 1920-1965
A new status quo and its critics, 1960-1985
Preparing teachers in the era of a nation at risk, 1965-2000.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 243-273) and index.
- 0807747343 (pbk. : alk. paper)
0807747351 (cloth : alk. paper)
- Publisher Number:
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|