The true prophecies or prognostications of Michael Nostradamus, physician to Henry II, Francis II, and Charles IX, kings of France, and one of the best astronomers that ever were : a work full of curiosity and learning / translated and commented by Theophilus de Garencieres ...
- London : Printed by Thomas Ratcliffe, and Nathaniel Thompson, and are to be sold by John Martin ..., Henry Mortlack ..., Thomas Collins ..., Edward Thomas ..., Samuel Lowndes ..., Rob. Bolter ..., Jon. Edwin ..., Moses Pits ..., 1672.
, 522 p.,  leaf of plates : port. ; 31 cm. (fol.)
- 1.k. t.of u.a, ofdi (3) 1672 (A)
- Prophecies (Occultism) -- Early works to 1800.
Astrology -- Early works to 1800.
- Place of Publication:
- England London.
- Title in red and black within double ruled border.
Woodcuts: initials, head- and tail-pieces.
Quatrains in the original French followed by translations and commentaries.
Dedicated to Nathaniel Parker.
"The life of Michael Nostradamus": P. [13-29].
Signatures: [a]⁴ b² c-e⁴ B-3U⁴ 3X1.
- Local notes:
- Swift's Library and Reading Collection copy: This title is part of The Library and Reading of Jonathan Swift: a Partial Replication, a collection given to the University of Pennsylvania Rare Book & Manuscript Library in 2005 in memory of Susan Homans Elias and in honor of the late Heinz J. Vienken.
Culture Class Collection copy bound in full brown leather with blind-stamped panel; title stamped in gold on spine; gold-tooled cover edges; all edges speckled red.
Culture Class Collection copy has the bookplate of Isaac Norris (1701-1766) on front pastedown and his autograph ("Is. Norris") on title page. A ms. sheet of writing exercises has been removed from this volume and is now cataloged under the Norris name in Miscellaneous Manuscripts.
- Penn Provenance:
- Vienken, Heinz J. (honoree) (Swift's Library and Reading Collection copy)
Elias, Susan Homans (honoree) (Swift's Library and Reading Collection copy)
Hadley, Frank L. (bookplate) (Swift's Library and Reading Collection copy)
Norris, Isaac, 1701-1766 (bookplate) (Culture Class Collection copy)
Norris, Charles, M.D. (donor) (Culture Class Collection copy)
- Penn Chronology:
- Cited in:
- Caillet. Manuel bibliographique des sciences psychiques, 8073
Brunet IV, pt. 1, col. 105
Passmann-Vienken. Swift's Library, II, p. 1333
- Garencières, Theophilus, 1610-1680.
Ratcliffe, Thomas, 17th cent.
Thompson, Nathaniel, d. 1687.
Martyn, John, fl. 1649-1680.
Collins, Thomas, fl. 1650-1682
Thomas, Edward, fl. 1657-1687
Swift's Library and Reading Collection (University of Pennsylvania)
Henry Charles Lea Library (University of Pennsylvania)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|