The third man [videorecording] / Janus Films ; Studio Canal ; Rialto Pictures ; a London Film Productions ;screenplay by Graham Green ; produced by Alexander Korda and David O. Selznick ; directed by Carol Reed.
- Special ed.
- [Irvington, NY] : Criterion Collection, c2007.
- Criterion collection; 64
The Criterion collection ; 64
2 videodiscs (104 min.) : sd., col. ; 4 3/4 in. + 1 booklet ( p. ; 19 cm.)
- Greene, Graham, 1904-1991 -- Film adaptations.
Criminals -- Austria -- Vienna -- Drama.
Vienna (Austria) -- History -- 20th century -- Drama.
Motion pictures, British.
- Detective and mystery films.
Video recordings for the hearing impaired.
Thrillers (Motion pictures)
Motion pictures, British.
- System Details:
- DVD; Dolby digital mono; Region 1.
- An American writer of pulp westerns arrives in post-war Vienna to take a job with an old friend, but discovers he has been murdered. Or has he? Based on Graham Greene's mystery.
- Disc 1. The film; video introduction by writer-director Peter Bogdanovich; two audio commentaries: one by filmmaker Steven Soderbergh and screenwriter Tony Gilroy and one by film scholar Dana Polan ; abridged recording of Graham Greene's treatment, read by actor Richard Clarke.
Disc 2. Shadowing "The third man (2005), a ninety-minute feature documentary on the making film; Graham Greene: "The hunted man", an hour long , 1968 episode of the BBC's Omnibus series, featuring a rare interview with the novelist; Who was the third man? (2000), a thirty-minute Austrian documentary featuring interviews with cast and crew; The third man on the radio: the 1951" A ticket to Tangiers" episode of the series The lives of Harry Lime, written and performed by Orson Wells; and the 1951 Lux Radio theatre adaptation of The third man.
Illustrated production history with rare behind-the-scenes photos, original UK press book, and U.S. trailer; actor Joseph Cotten's alternate opening voice-over narration for the U. S. version; archival footage of postwar Vienna; a booklet featuring essays by Luc Sante, Charles Drazin and Philip Kerr.
- Joseph Cotten, Alida Valli, Orson Welles.
- Photographer, Robert Krasker; editor, Oswald Hafenrichter; music, Anton Karas.
- Based on the story by Graham Greene.
Aspect ratio 1.33:1.
Originally released in 1949.
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Elizabeth Bowers Peck, 1929 Endowment Book Fund.
- Reed, Carol, 1906-1976 , Director
Korda, Alexander, Sir, 1893-1956 , Producer
Selznick, David O., 1902-1965 , Producer
Cotten, Joseph, 1905-1994 , Actor
Valli, Alida, 1921-2006 , Actor
Welles, Orson, 1915-1985 , Actor
Karas, Anton. , Composer
Sante, Luc. , Author
Drazin, Charles, 1960- , Author
Kerr, Philip. , Author
Janus Films. , Producer
Rialto Pictures LLC. , Producer
Greene, Graham, 1904-1991. , Author, Screenwriter
London Film Productions. , Producer
Criterion Collection (Firm) , Distributor
Elizabeth Bowers Peck, 1929 Endowment Book Fund.
- Publisher Number:
CC1690D Image Entertainment
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|