The Silmarillion / J.R.R. Tolkien ; edited by Christopher Tolkien.
- 1st American edition
- Boston : Houghton Mifflin,  , ©1977
365 pages : map (1 folded), genealogical tables ; 24 cm
- Baggins, Bilbo -- Fiction.
Middle Earth (Imaginary place) -- Fiction.
Elves -- Fiction.
- Fantastic fiction.
- Place of Publication:
- United States New York (State) New York.
- From the Publisher: "Majestic! Readers of The Hobbit and The Lord Of The Rings will find The Silmarillion a cosmology to call their own medieval romances, fierce fairy tales and fiercer wars that ring with heraldic fury it overwhelms the reader." Those interested in J.R.R. Tolkien's Middle Earth should not be without this grand volume that tells the tragic tale of the struggle for control of the Silmarils, a struggle that would determine the history of the world long before the War of the Ring.
1: Of the beginning of days
2: Of Aule and Yavanna
3: Of the coming of the elves and the captivity of Melkor
4: Of Thingol and Melian
5: Of Eldamar and the Princes of the Eldalië
6: Of Feanor and the unchaining of Melkor
7: Of the Silmarils and the unrest of the Noldor
8: Of the darkening of Valinor
9: Of the flight of the Noldor
10: Of the Sindar
11: Of the sun and moon and the hiding of Valinor
12: Of men
13: Of the return of the Noldor
14: Of Beleriand and its realms
15: Of the Noldor in Beleriand
16: Of Maeglin
17: Of the coming of men into the west
18: Of the ruin of Beleriand and the fall of Fingolfin
19: Of Beren and Lúthien
20: Of the fifth battle: Nirnaeth Arnoediad
21: Of Túrin Turambar
22: Of the ruin of Doriath
23: Of Tuor and the fall of Gondolin
24: Of the voyage of Eärendil and the war of wrath
Of the rings of power and the third age
Genealogies: 1: House of Finwë
2: Descendants of Olwë and Elwë
3: House of Bëor
4 and 5: House of Hador and the people of Haleth
Sundering of the elves
Note on pronunciation
Index of names
Appendix: Elements in Quenya and Sindarin names.
Jacket drawing by J.R.R. Tolkien.
Includes a fold-out map of Beleriand.
- Local notes:
- Gotham Book Mart Collection copy has ms. note "Christmas 1977 Seek and you shall find and may you be [forever] -- outward bound --- From Dad + Dayle" on front pastedown.
Gotham Book Mart Collection copy has bookplate "Korth Elsesser" on front flyleaf.
Adams Collection copy presented to the Penn Libraries in 2015 by Dr. Mark B. Adams.
Adams Collection copy has dustjacket
- Penn Provenance:
- Gotham Book Mart (former owner) (Gotham Book Mart Collection copy)
Elsesser, Korth (bookplate) (Gotham Book Mart Collection copy)
Adams, Mark B. (donor) (Adams Collection copy)
- Penn Chronology:
- Cited in:
- Internet Speculative Fiction Database, 181937
- Tolkien, Christopher, editor.
Gotham Book Mart Collection (University of Pennsylvania)
Mark B. Adams Science Fiction Collection (University of Pennsylvania)
- Other format:
- Online version: Tolkien, J.R.R. (John Ronald Reuel), 1892-1973. Silmarillion.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|